Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Belt Broke In Middle Of Nowhere

Old 11-11-2005, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently installed a underdrive pulley and about three days later I was driving in the rain and hit a puddle and my belt started to squeal and then I smelt burning rubber. I pulled over and got out and looked and the first belt not the AC belt wasn't there. This sucked because it was down pouring and I was laying down in the mud to look. I was really screwed because I forgot my cell phone. On the underdrive pulley there was all burnt rubber all over it. So I had to drive a little bit till my car started to overheat and then pull over and repeat this process over and over again about 20 times till I got back to URI. I could hear the coolant boiling. How bad do you think this was to my car. I hope I didn't do any permanent damage.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:23 AM

How high did you let the temperature rise? If it was boiling then you are screwed, but that means you had to let the arrow go all the way to the red area, did you do that?

If you didn't let your temp go all the way to the red part then you have nothing to worry about.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:32 AM

It only went to the red part once and it was only there about 10 seconds before I turned the car off. Do you think the problem was because of the pulley or that I should have tightened it after driving it for a little bit because the belt stretches after you first put it on?
Old 11-11-2005, 02:55 AM

Just hope that nothing happened to your engine man.

I think you just didn't tighten up something.

Which pulley is it?
Old 11-11-2005, 03:02 AM

It was really tight at first it must have loosened and then when I went thew the puddle and got it wet it must have started slipping and then heated up. It melted only on the underdrive pulley none of the others and it was the belt that runs the alternator, power steering, and water pump . If I did any damage will it be noticeable right away? It sucked it happened at like 3 in the morning. I never forget to bring my cell phone with me anymore. I will always keep spare belts and the tools to put them on from now on in my car. After installing a new belt the first thing I am gonna do is a oil change(I'm due for one anyways). High temperatures break down your oil right? Hopefully having synthetic might have helped.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:05 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Which pulley was it? Unorthodox Racing? Jspeed? OBX?

You put new belts on when you installed it right?
Old 11-11-2005, 08:34 AM

If I remember correctly, he had an OBX pulley. This post has me worried. I'd hate for that to happen with my setup
Old 11-11-2005, 08:40 AM

It was OBX and I did put new belts on when I installed it(the really expensive ones not the cheapo kind). I had to go with a little bit smaller size than the length recommended in the DIY section for the belt that goes around the water pump, alternator, and power steering(the one that melted) because it would just fall right off even after I tightened everything all the way. They used a OBX pulley in the DIY also which is kind of weird. But I finally found the right size that fit good and then this happened three days later.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:15 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

that sucks.. im thinking that maybe since the pulley is aluminum it'd be more prone to slippage in the event that it got wet.

if all that happened was that the coolant temp got to the red i wouldn't worry about too much, these motors were built pretty tough.

i made the (stupid) mistake of putting a picture in the way of the coolant temp gauge and mine overheated but i didn't know up until i saw smoke coming from the engine, i removed the picture at that time and saw that it was "past" the red. i thought i was royaly screwed, but i haven't had a problem with it since that time. i had a coolant leak. i'm not saying that the motor is invincible, but i do believe it's a very tough motor.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:27 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (Screwdriver @ Nov 11 2005, 08:34 AM)
If I remember correctly, he had an OBX pulley. This post has me worried. I'd hate for that to happen with my setup

You worry about anything that has anything to do with pulleys.

LOL

This is the first time I've heard of someone having any issue with them, ever.

I'd say it was either a bad belt, or just a bad install. No one's fault, but shit happens sometimes.