Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Basic Engine Swap?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How hard would it be to change out a blown engine?

is there any how to's on the net about doing this? complicated much?

any suggestions are gravy. thanks
Old 07-25-2008, 10:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

With a good auto knowledge its pretty simple. I can swap out and in pretty quickly.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I think someone here just did it over a weekend within the last couple of months.

If you have the time & tools, it's not that bad. Lacking either, or the mechanical ability, it's an expensive job to have done unless you know somebody.

You disconnect everything and pull it all away from the engine and it comes out. Installation is the reverse of removal. Much easier said than done wink1.gif
Old 07-25-2008, 10:12 PM

there isn't any bolts or nuts that are in hard places, or anything that'll stop progress once started? thanks for the quick response, its an 01 Auto tibby if that makes any difference,

is there anything i should replace while the engine is outta the car?
Old 07-25-2008, 10:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

To answer your questions in this last post.

1. Yes there are.

2. Yes, put a new engine in it.

lmao.gif
Old 07-25-2008, 10:38 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

for a good mechanic it's cake. toughest part is going to the yard and finding a replacement. a junkyard engine costs $200 so you can imagine how much money they make from doing this. took one mechanic i know 2 days to do and get working. he knew damn well what he was doing though.

i wouldn't trust myself to do it, nor do i have the time or tools. with an engine hoist, an extra car, and someone to teach you though it's cake.

hardest part i think is draining all of the radiator fluid from the system. next is cleaning all of the oil spills. i've also heard to use zip lock bags to label all of the stuff because there's no way in hell you're going to know what goes where.

luck.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:05 PM

^Thank you sir, the compression on cylinder 2 went to shit so now i gotta replace the engine, i think it'll be easier to replace the engine than just seals and rings. Me and a friend are gonna attempt it, i've got some mechanical knowledge and he's done a few transmissions before, we have all the right tools, and it's alot cheaper than going to a shop it seems.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:57 AM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

i just swapped my 160k mile engine for a 16k mile eengine and wow what a difference-...

the removal and install took me about 2.5 days-... the hardest part was remounting the trans back onto the engine-...

my top suggestions would be to leave what you can connected to the car but not the engine (rest the power steering pump on the inside of the fender well, and bungee cord the ac compressor w/ the lines attatched to the firewall, remove radiator w/ the fans still connected).

make sure to take your time w/ the install and think everything through-...

and modding the engine w/ it out of the car is soooooo much more fun than doing so w/ it in the car!

air tools are a huge help!
Old 07-26-2008, 12:35 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

i just did an engine swap for a friend who helped with mine. took 2 nights, first night we started around 7pm and had it out by 12:30. then second night we started at 5pm and had it all back together but we had lots of troubles with a clutch issue and had to make alot of side trips.

you could do it in a whole day if needed.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Hold on, don't you think you might at least check to see why only 1 cylinder lost compression? A blown head gasket is WAY easier than a full-on engine swap! You had a compression test done, and did you also have a leakdown test done? Maybe it ingested a rock and bent a valve; there's lots of things that can go wrong, up to and including a hole in the cylinder wall (which definitely would require an engine change)

Yes, there are some bolts in hard places. The bottom support on my intake manifold was difficult to reach but I don't have skinny arms, either. If you're removing the engine, it may be debatable whether or not you should pull the transaxle out with it, or if it would be easier to get the engine out by itself.