Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Bad Day At The Track For Loneshark

Old 09-20-2005 | 07:24 PM

Axles popping out have happened to me on three occasions

The way i fixed it is by replacing that c clip

they are only like 25 cents at the dealer

if your axle is out, REPLACE THE CLIP.

A new clip will hold stronger than the old... TRUST ME on that.

Ive pulled my axles out on various occasions (clutch swaps, engine swaps), and recently i pulled out the axles with the new clips... it was a b**** to get them out.

So... just change the clips. Its not hard at all. Use a flat head and bend the shit out of the old one to get it out... for the new one, just push it in.
Old 09-20-2005 | 07:30 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT

i've launched at 4k before. but only after the first two runs. the first run, i'd launch at 3k, second a little above 3k, and the third, at 4k.
depends on what tires you have.
of course if you have slicks, get that b!tch up there.
Old 09-20-2005 | 07:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

it seems like your times should be less, i broke 11 secs with an auto and bad tires, well tread ware of 280 instead of my 200 and slick like azzenis(big blocks of tread) cai and exhaust
Old 09-20-2005 | 07:43 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

QUOTE (hamhead @ Sep 20 2005, 08:56 PM)
I have no comment on your thinking that 4Gs is a good launch RPM, and I feel sorry for your transmission and axles.

As for the autos being stronger axles, I've always heard that if anything, the manual axles are beefier.

so what do you think is a good launch speed ?? what type of clutch you running ?? do you know what a 4 puc race disc feels like when you slam it ?

QUOTE (01importshark @ Sep 21 2005, 02:17 AM)
u mean phantom slip.. loll what a hunk of poop.. lol... well for our cars at least... but i would def. not reccomend it.. ull always have to be thinking... is it gonna blow my diff up, hope not,, maybe i should launch lower.. blah blah blah... dont get phantom slip.... ever..

imma get mtec over xmas... it should just pop back in and u prob wont have problem again...

yea werd, i hope so
QUOTE (Jaws021 @ Sep 21 2005, 02:24 AM)
Axles popping out have happened to me on three occasions

The way i fixed it is by replacing that c clip

they are only like 25 cents at the dealer

if your axle is out, REPLACE THE CLIP.

A new clip will hold stronger than the old... TRUST ME on that.

Ive pulled my axles out on various occasions (clutch swaps, engine swaps), and recently i pulled out the axles with the new clips... it was a b**** to get them out.

So... just change the clips. Its not hard at all. Use a flat head and bend the shit out of the old one to get it out... for the new one, just push it in.

exactley what i had in mind to do first, thanks for going over it, i guess it shouldnt be to much of a b****

QUOTE (iQfOreVa @ Sep 21 2005, 02:30 AM)
i've launched at 4k before. but only after the first two runs. the first run, i'd launch at 3k, second a little above 3k, and the third, at 4k.
depends on what tires you have.
of course if you have slicks, get that b!tch up there.

oh hell yea, on slicks, i would say almost 5000 or better to get going

QUOTE (brian01tib @ Sep 21 2005, 02:33 AM)
it seems like your times should be less, i broke 11 secs with an auto and bad tires, well tread ware of 280 instead of my 200 and slick like azzenis(big blocks of tread) cai and exhaust

yea i have a huge box in my trunk, its a street car, not a track car, still got the back seats in, and the spare tire and jack. so theres about 300 pounds right there thats still in the car.
Old 09-21-2005 | 12:20 AM

Just to warm you... slicks are a great thing, but they kill your drivetrain... too much stress!
Old 09-21-2005 | 06:11 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I launch @ 2500RPM on the stock clutch with the Tibby with street tires (BFGs). I launch @ 4000RPM on a heavy duty clutch on streets with the GSX. AWD is different though.

If your not getting wheelspin, whatever.... I can't see how you wouldn't, but whatever works for you, works I guess.
Old 09-21-2005 | 10:55 AM

true. well yea at a 4 K launch, i get crazy wheel spin

at a 2.5 K launch no wheel spin, but the 60 foot time is more than a 4 k luanch with wheel spin.

and on a 4 K launch, I hit 2nd very well, but like you said, its whatever works, especially when weight is a factor, do you have a lot of weight in your car???

snapped the axle right at the splines, and the other axle on the passenger side is twisted and has a fracture, so

who ever said the stock axles are strong better beware !!!!!!!!!

I dynoed at 130 WHP and 125 Wtq

with a valeo 2200 pound clutch

and snapped the axles like breaking a loaf of bread.

so... right now Im waiting on a ride to get to my house and get the auto axles, so I can put them in and get me rolling.

what a pain getting the broken spline out of the diff, man, i had to remove the other axle and use a thin file about 8 inches long, thin, because there is a pole that goes through the middles of the axle input holes, so i couldnt just use a long screwdriver, it had to be thin enuf to clear the pole or bolt or shaft whatever that thing is in the middle, Im not to familiar with the workings of a diff.

so I was able to punch it out from the other side, man i was so happy, I thought for a minute i was gonna have to drop the tranny and pull it apart to get the broken shaft out.

pics will come soon.

thanks peeps
Old 09-22-2005 | 10:03 AM

ok so theres a problem, whn making a left turn theres a pop sound like a bad axle sound, then as I come out of the turn and straighten out, it hooks right, then I jerk the whell and it pops again, and drives straight,

i think the auto axle is too short by 1/4 inch, thus it is coming out of the tranny a bit and as I straighten out it pops back in to place, looks like im getting a new drivers side axle, how much are they ??

are the elantra axles the same ?? theres a junked elantra at the junkyard.
Old 09-22-2005 | 01:23 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

I tried Elanta right axle (whole thing without inner joint) and I have an issue - it has different numbers of splines.

But remember I have Korean Spec RD.