Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Bad Clutch/ Slave Cylinder

Old 09-28-2008, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

alright i will do that today, still need a new clutch though so hopefully fixes the problem with it starting, dont really feel like going through 3 clutches in under 3 months
Old 09-28-2008, 12:23 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

If you can somehow get it to disengage all the way, you shouldn't need a new clutch.

By the way, why don't you first take it out of gear (neutral) before starting the engine?! It won't matter if the clutch is engaged or not if it's in neutral.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:04 PM

the car is in neutral when i start it, it just goes all gay on me and jump and back fires

and also my clutch is slipping like crazy now because of the problem, so i do NEED a new clutch either way
Old 09-28-2008, 01:28 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Oh sorry, forgot that it slips now.
If it's in neutral then I don't understand how come you need to use the ebrake when you start the car, and what exactly you mean by "jumps"..
Old 09-28-2008, 01:51 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok, here's a list of symptoms that might help you out.

Clutch switch - starter will not turn if this switch is not pressed.
Clutch cylinder- car will jump if the clutch is engaged. You can see the cylinder moving the clutch release arm on your transmission if you have someone depress the clutch.
Clutch bearing- It could also be that the bearing isn't seated properly, to reseat the bearing, disconnect the clutch slave cylinder and push the arm the other direction from the standard way the clutch cylinder moves when you push the clutch

If you start your car in neutral, not first, the car should should not move and as long as the clutch switch is depressed, the car should start like normal. If it does not, then you've got a problem with the clutch switch.

If your car grinds into gear after starting the car, then you've probly got a problem with your slave cylinder or release bearing Try checking for tightness of the slave cylindar and also make sure the bearing is seated by pressing on the release arm.

This is not a thorough guide, it is a easy diy guide I hope it helps. Give us information based on what I told you to do.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:36 PM

clutch switch- starter turns, so the switch is fine
clutch cylinder- the slave cylinder does move fine
clutch bearing- will try

the car moves because its misfiring or something, its like the entire car jumps, kinda like the clutch disc is getting caught or something idk
car doesnt grind in gear
Old 09-28-2008, 04:35 PM

go out to your car and take the rubber boot off of your slave cylinder and see if theres a c-clip stopping the piston from fully extending.

when i bought mine they told me they put the clip in there for shipping purposes( so the unit stays assembled) and have had a few people try to return them saying they didnt work. when in fact the clip was in there the whole time. when i put it on without taking that clip out it was acting exactly how you described your problems. the car jumps becuase the clutch disc never fully disengages
Old 09-28-2008, 04:46 PM

sweet, im going to try that now, i will post with a new update