Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Bad Clutch/ Slave Cylinder

Old 09-27-2008, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

ok, as most of you know, just got a south bend street clutch about a month ago

i got it installed and couldnt even leave the shop because the car wouldnt start, so a few techs came out with a booster pak, hooked it up and started the car.
i took it home and let it run to "recharge" the battery. well i did that, then was going to another town to hang out with some friends, and what do you know, the car wont start. i got my friends car and tried to jump it, but nothing, tried a booster pak and again... nothing

took a different car up, and came back to my friends house where the car was still sitting, got in, tried to turn it over and there it goes, fired right up

i later found out that i wasnt pushing the clutch pedal in enough to start the car, but realized that in order to get it in "far" enough i was literally putting all my weight on the pedal, and crushing it into the floor to get it to engage to the point that i would turn the car over, I asked SOCKS what the problem could be and he told me to bleed the slave cylinder since i got a new one, and the shop probably didnt bleed it, so a week ago i bled the lines numerous times, trying to get the pedal to firm up and engage properly, and i hasnt done anything.

since the clutch doesnt always full engage when i go to start the car, every so often it will turn over, jump like the car is in gear and having the clutch dropped without gas, then misfire or something, and die

i am not sure what to do, this has caused my clutch to start slipping, and some really crappy shifting since the clutch isnt being fully engaged all the time

just wondering if anyone knows what i can do to fix this, the shop that did it owes me about $800-900 and am working on getting that back so i can buy my new clutch and install it myself, but until then i dont know what i can do to fix this

thanks in advance
Old 09-27-2008, 01:22 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

are you sure it's a problem with the clutch? It could be the clutch switch. There's a switch that prevents you from cranking the car unless it's fully depressed. It's located on the clutch pedal near the end. If it were the clutch cylinders, you'd probably have the car moving while you try to start it.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:30 PM

this may seeem stupid but when you replaced the slave cylinder did you take the c-clip out of the cylinder where the piston is housed? took me a few minutes when i did mine to figure it out.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:35 PM

i have no idea about the c clamp, as a shop did it for me

DTN- i usually have the ebrake up when i start the car so it doesnt move on me

i dont know what else it could be, the sensor should be fine, the clutch pedal touches it and seems to be fine on there, i just dont see how they would have screwed that up installing the new clutch
Old 09-27-2008, 05:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (DTN @ Sep 27 2008, 02:22 PM)
are you sure it's a problem with the clutch? It could be the clutch switch. There's a switch that prevents you from cranking the car unless it's fully depressed. It's located on the clutch pedal near the end. If it were the clutch cylinders, you'd probably have the car moving while you try to start it.

I'd say it's this ^^

When you say the car doesn't start, does it sit and crank and not start, or does it not even do anything? If it sits and cranks, who knows what, go check your engine or something. If it does absolutely nothing when you try to start it, it's the switch. It's a pretty easy switch to find/replace/observe. Just look under your dash and watch where the clutch goes when you depress it. At the very bottom there's a little black switch that should be activated when you press all the way down. If it's not hitting the switch, try pushing harder (although it sounds like you're pushing plenty hard), watch for things that could be preventing you from pushing it all the way down, or possibly move the switch closer. If it does press the switch, then you may need a new switch, or there's a loose connection.
I'm 99% sure it's not your actual clutch, that doesn't seem to have anything to do with starting. Unless your clutch is engaging of course, in which case your car would take off down the road as you start it (release the handbrake to ensure that it's not this).
Also, go get your battery checked from AutoZone and see if it's any good. If not, replace it!.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Even when its running and driving it acts up though guys. To rule the switch out, unplug the connector and jump it with a wire. Obviously dont leave it in drive and not press the clutch then. Otherwise I would take it back and make them redo it. Youve paid the money make them do all the work over.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:14 AM

strike- the car turns over but its like it only turns over halfway before i shuts off, its like the car is starting then back fires and kills itself
the switch also isnt the problem i tested that and it is fine, and like ericy said, it acts up while im driving too
and with the clutch engaging, it does actually jump, but since the brake is up i dont start driving off, it just is like i have the car in gear while parked, and then let off the clutch

ericy- like i said above, i tested the switch and thats not the problem
with the shop im working on getting a full refund, plus the $200 i spent on my new clutch, to buy a new one, then im gonna save that $600 install money, and do the clutch myself
Old 09-28-2008, 08:18 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

It's obvious that the clutch isn't disengaging all the way.

How much pedal free play do you have? (How far can you press the pedal with very little force?)
There is a way to adjust the clutch free play by turning on a nut or something (search for it). If you decrease the free-play, it might help your situation.

How far did you have to press the pedal for the clutch to fully disengage with the old clutch? And how worn was the old clutch?

Old 09-28-2008, 08:48 AM

i know about the bolt, i just havent thought of trying to adjust that because there really isnt much free play, the pedal feels almost exactly like it did before i got my new clutch its just a little easier to push in

im not real sure how far i had to press the pedal in before, i just know that i could rest my foot on the pedal and just apply a little bit of force to get it to be engaged

also dont know how worn the clutch was, i asked the shop before they put in the new one if i could have the old clutch but they "accidentally" got rid of it so i have no idea how it looked
Old 09-28-2008, 08:59 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Thing is, if the old clutch was worn, the new one is gonna be much thicker and will require more movement. Try adjusting that bolt to minimum freeplay and see if it works, at least as a temporary solution if nothing else..