Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Backup Light Switch

Old 09-19-2005 | 07:25 PM

ok, i just had my tranny and clutch replaced and now my backup lights are on constantly. i think it's the switch that tells the lights that the car is in reverse, but i'm not sure, and i'm not sure where the switch is easier. have any ideas guys?

Solo
Old 09-19-2005 | 08:49 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

First off, automatic or manual??
You got your tranny replaced, or swapped from auto to manual?

Explain your situation more ..
Old 09-20-2005 | 05:23 PM

oops, sorry. i have a manual, and it is still a manual. i just swapped the tranny from a '00 Elantra into my tib. it is a salvage tranny, but isn't the switch at the shifter? but anyways, i've got a manual tranny and i'm trying to get my darn backup lights to turn off.
Old 09-20-2005 | 07:53 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

strange !!

funny this should come up for you, cuz last week i finally went to the junk yard and bought the plug for my tranny reverse lights.

the "switch" if you will, is located in the tranny, not the shifter and it "closes" when you put the car in reverse.

the plug that is connected to the switch is located right on top of the tranny, I dont have a pic right now, but it is an oval plug, very close to the slave cylinder.

my guess is the switch in the new tranny is bad, so your going to have to unplug the connector, and look at the female side of the plug that is on the tranny, see if you can remove it by unscrewing the whole plug, DONT FORCE ANYTHING, im not totally sure if you can remove just the switching mechanism from the tranny, but if there is like a hexagonal shape around the base of the female side if the plug, than it should be possible.

but it definetley sounds like the switch inside the new tranny is stuck
Old 09-20-2005 | 07:58 PM

oh man....i'm gonna have to pull the tranny to do this aren't i? >_>. not really what i was looking forward to doing.....
Old 09-20-2005 | 08:05 PM

You shouldn't have to pull the trans for this.. maybe a little contortion, but that is it.

Also, check to see if the wires are hooked up at all. they could just be laying there grounded out.
Old 09-20-2005 | 08:15 PM

alright guys, thanks. yet another project i get to do this weekend. about the only saving grace is that if i do have to replace the switch and i can get it without pulling the tranny, i've got the old one lying around, and i know that the one in there works.
Old 09-21-2005 | 12:23 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

man it's very easy, only took me 5 minutes.

1. disconnect connector
2. unscrew back up switch
3. screw in new one
4. connect connector

BUT you can also may need to take out filter box (if you have it)

You can check if your switch is working without taking it out.
Disconnect connector (lamps should go off), in any gear except ® there should be NO closed circuit between 2 pins on the switch. In R gear there shuold be closed circuit.
Old 09-21-2005 | 09:59 AM

alright, thanks guys
Old 09-21-2005 | 10:52 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

YOU DO NOT NEED TO PULL THE TRANNY

when you pop the hood, and look at the top of the trannyyou can see the plug sticking straight out the top of the tranny,

it should be an easy fix !!!!

edit: check Dmitry's pic, i didnt see it when i replyed !!! e-a-s-y