Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Ark Vs Mbrp

Old 04-18-2005 | 06:09 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

which one do you guys think is better? Ark or MBRP. for a N/A setup
Old 04-18-2005 | 06:17 AM

I'd say ARK because MBRP doesn't make them anymore. smile.gif
Old 04-18-2005 | 06:22 AM

well i have a chance at getting a mbrp. so, dont use that reason smile.gif.
Old 04-18-2005 | 06:33 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I would say go with the MBRP since it is proven. The ARK one still has a couple of problems last I heard. (Hangers)
Old 04-18-2005 | 06:35 AM

ah. i see, how are the proformance gains on the ark though, compared to the mbrp
Old 04-18-2005 | 08:48 AM

I just got my MBRP a few months ago and it was a little off from fitting with no modifications. We had to modify the flange from the cat to bolt up and it only had one hanger so it sits a little close to the bumper. Seems to be working itself out though. Sounds great and looks great. I wouldnt give it up but it wasnt as easy to install as i originally thought. But seems that the ARK had a few more problems than this.
Old 04-18-2005 | 11:18 AM

mbrp 2.25 diameter, ark 2.5 diameter

i have the mbrp and i like it, no problems with it except when i got it, the flange was setup for an rd1, overall nice gain and nice sound......
Old 04-18-2005 | 12:08 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

ARK seems like its very quiet from the clips, and the one person that I know that has it, loves it. The MBRP seems like it was a little louder, and I don't like 2.25diam exhausts since I lost no low end whatsoever on my 2.5.
Old 04-18-2005 | 01:09 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

QUOTE (draguntib @ Apr 18 2005, 02:48 PM)
I just got my MBRP a few months ago and it was a little off from fitting with no modifications. We had to modify the flange from the cat to bolt up and it only had one hanger so it sits a little close to the bumper. Seems to be working itself out though. Sounds great and looks great. I wouldnt give it up but it wasnt as easy to install as i originally thought. But seems that the ARK had a few more problems than this.

same here. The MBRP is 2-bolt all the way around but the rear end of our cat convertor is a 3-bolt. You will need to modify tubing or get a 2-bolt hi-flow cat (or eliminate the cat for a true catback system).

I fixed the bolt problem and the only other issue I had with the MBRP was the same as you draguntib, no third hanger. It needs another near the middle of the car so the muffler doesn't rattle agaisnt the plastic bumper while on bumpy roads or at WOT. THat's a really easy fix as well, I know a guy at a muffler shop who welded some mounts for me and gave me a free rubber hanger (surprisingly he carried the right kind). So now I love my exhaust and wouldn't have anything else.

Pro's and cons on the ark v. mbrp would include price. Your possible mbrp must be used and will probably range 300 or so shipped. The ark (not sure on exact price) is quite a bit more around 600 shipped. mbrp is 2.25 piping and ark is 2.5 I would have to suggest 2.25 for an NA set-up. I wouldn't have said the same before but I now I know from experience with my mbrp. I am already noticing idle rpm problems with the increased airflow the 2.25 piping gives, and my power band has shifter to a slighty higher rpm bandwidth. 2.5 would only increase these "symptoms" I guess you could say.

my vote is for the MBRP. tried and true.
Old 04-18-2005 | 01:19 PM

^^^ My MBRP has a three bolt on it tongue.gif . Also it is really easy to fix the bumper issue. Just use a piece of high telp hose and put it on the rear mount (the one right by the bumper hole). This will make it so the muffler no longer hits the mount and clangs, and if you use high temp hose (mines been like this for over a year) the hose does not melt and your are good to do. I agree with you about the 2.25 to 2.5 thing. I get some pretty hard backfire now with the 2.25...... With 2.5 it would be really anoying.