Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

AOS intake

Old 12-15-2001, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AOS intake

Any Tibs out there have the AOS cold air intake from speedstate? Are they any good like the Kore CAI?

-alex-
Old 12-15-2001, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The AOS intake is rather different than the KORE unit.

It puts the air filter at the bottom of the engine bay, just above the lower engine shield.

In theory, it should be slightly more protected from water than the standard MHP/KORE/Random Special design that puts the air filter in the fender well.

Personnaly, and no offense here to AOS or speedstate, but I think that the filter location is not optimal, as it is in a low pressure area, and right behind and just below the radiator. This means it is pulling in hot engine compartment air rather that outside/ambient tempature air.

The KORE/MHP/Random Special design, that puts the air filter in the fenderwell is also a low pressure area, however it is cold/ambient air. This design is, in theory, more prone to sucking up water, as one side of the air chamber is open to the elements.

The same is true of the AOS intake, but the water would have to "back fill" the lower engine compartment in order to get to the filter, so it is, in theory, less prone to water.

So the AOS design has it's advantages and disadvantages, just like all the CAI's on the market.
Old 12-16-2001, 07:05 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tib

about the KORE cai w/ th bpv...i was told that a CAI w/ a BPV is basically worry-free when it comes to the water issue...i'm hoping this isnt a misconception...but if it is could ya clear it up for me? tongue.gif
Old 12-16-2001, 08:31 AM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

I've got the AOS intake on my 01 Tib. I'm happy with the performance from it. It has a good sound, and there is an increase in power once you hit the 3K rpm mark. The placement of the filter is also good. I've been through some fairly deep water, and none reached the filter that I know of.
Old 12-16-2001, 09:29 AM

Random!!
Actually the AOS intake is a good design for the dreaded A version Tibs like myself.Since the canister is in the fenderwell this set up is basically the only one one thats avaliable.My home made version CAI is the same design as Speedstate.I notice a pretty good gain with my set-up.Although the fenderwell design is also very effective!!
Old 12-16-2001, 09:40 AM

Sorry to disagree. I have the aos and don't see how it pulls hot air. The cone is pointed at the ground. I cut a small piece out of the plastic shroud beneath it so it has a clear flow from the street. As we all should know, HEAT RISES. All engine heat would be up top.
Old 12-16-2001, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the response!
scotto46, noticed that you have the 1.8 cams, can you actually feel the difference in power?
Old 12-16-2001, 02:07 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

scotto46, Do you have the bypass valve installed with your intake?
Old 12-16-2001, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

scot046-

The design of the tiburon/elantra engine bay, is to have air enter the front of the body work, go through the AC core, then through the radiator core, then out under the engine and under the body of the car. This puts the AOS filter in the direct path of hot air that has been through the radiator.

Also, you are correct, heat rises. But where does it go in your engine compartment? Nowhere! Your hood holds in it. So the entire engine comparment fills with hot air. Yes, the lowest air is the coolest...however, it is still hotter than ambient air. And the air filter placement behind the radiator, and within 18" of the exhaust piping, means there is plenty of hot air, even that low.

Cutting a hole through the bottom engine shroud may let SOME cold air in, but it is not as effective as putting the filter in a seperate comparment that only has access to ambient air.

2 Uniq- You are correct. the AOS intake is the ONLY option for a "Revision-A" tiburon if you do not want to modify the intake after purchasing it.

Pbhou- The KORE/MHP/Random Special type of design with the air filter in the fenderwell is fairly water proof. It would take you dunking the nose of your car into water about 12" or more deep before the filter would get wet. Even THEN...having the AEM Bypass means no worries. However, the AOS design is a tad better in resistance to sucking up water, due to the location of the air filter. The same 12" or more of water might even get the AOS filter wet, but the forward motion of the car should keep water from backfililng the engine bay where the air filter sits. Again, the AEM bypass means no worries, and would eliminate this threat, however small.
Old 12-17-2001, 03:54 AM

I should point out the AOS intake was also designed to fit in the 2001 Elantra 5speed, it was a compromise design to do one CAI fits all, it's just an alternative to the KORE/MHP/Random special desgins. The other designs would be better for a 98-2001 5speed tib but AOS is the only way to go for the 97 A and some Elantras.