Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Anone Have This Problem?

Old 06-06-2005, 07:30 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Two 97 RD Tibs and 2010 Genesis Coupe

Hey guys!
I am getting my car by next week with the new Motor i have built with with Forged Internals and was told by my machainc i have Timing belt walk..
Now i dont understand this 100% but my machanic did tighten up the tension a Bit and now i hear a whisling sound when i rev the car...
I only have a 6psi spring as we speak for my break in period in the motor and the belt is alraedy walking which is weird.Now that it was tightened a bit its Fine from what my guy says.
Im going to the shop tommoorw to see exactly what he means but in the mean time why im i getting this problem?
Can it be due to the fact about the new ENGINE i has assembled which i had balanced and Blue printed?
OR Im thinking since i have More power than OEM its moving?
I also understand a little bit of movement on the timing belt is Normal AS LONG As it stays withing the Cam gear and not fly off the teeth gears.
Also the crank pulley has a Thick lip which enables the belt to stay in place?
WEIRD?????
ANy help would be appreciated
Thanks!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:56 PM

Never heard of timing belt walk before I think he means stiming belt stretch. Having your timing belt so tight that it makes a whiring sound when you rev is not good. It will kill the bearings real quick. Get it loosened asap.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:57 PM

maybe would be better if you check all over again. to be sure about evrything.

check for loosen screws and maybe you can take some pics! laugh.gif
Old 06-06-2005, 08:20 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (cro_ool @ Jun 7 2005, 01:56 AM)
Never heard of timing belt walk before I think he means stiming belt stretch. Having your timing belt so tight that it makes a whiring sound when you rev is not good. It will kill the bearings real quick. Get it loosened asap.

Yeah, thats what I heard of and maybe what he meant. Never heard of a walking timing belt.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:27 PM

if he means the timing belt is skipping teeth... its the fault of whoever installed it...

get it fixed ASAP.

and slap your mechanic...
:angry:
Old 06-06-2005, 08:31 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

^ LOL I love it. This is the first I have heard of Timing belt walk.

I am agreeing with cro_ool and hamhead here. Whirring or whizzing is not good, means there is stress where there shouldn't be. Maybe loosen it just a tad, and check with your mechanic to make sure you know what he means.

If there is such a thing is there a stronger timing belt you can use. I didn't think that having too much power could snap your timing belt?
Old 06-06-2005, 08:31 PM

No its not skipping teeth BUT whats happening is the timing belt moves side to side on the cam sproket and i think its walking to much where it might slide off or MAYBE its NOT slidding off and as a precaution made the tensioner a bit Tigher and therefore the belt is tigher.
A littlr bit of movement on the belt side to side is Normal As long as it doesnt slide off pass the Gear Edge of course
I will find out exactly tommorow
Also i am using teh KSPEC aftermarket CAM SPROKET whcih i might switch to OEM and see whats gonna happen
Old 06-06-2005, 08:36 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (2UNIQ @ Jun 7 2005, 12:01 AM)
BUT whats happening is the timing belt moves side to side on the cam sproket

Check to see if it's on backwards.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:19 AM

Well i went to the shop today and got a better understanding of what he was saying that was happening.
First of all the timing belt From what he says IS NOT moving side to side on the cam sproket regardless of the tension.
Whats happening is when he puts the tension to stock specs the timing belt between the Cam and Crank pulleys Moves outwards and side to side under hard loads.The reason he made it a bit tighter is becuase he saw how the Belt was Flapping around and was afraid IT CAN skip a tooth and screw things up.He really didnt liek what he saw as it looked to loose.This is the reason for it to be a bit tighter.
Now i have not seen how the belt reacts when its at stock tightening specs but i take his word.He did say that he will put it to specs if i want but if something happens he is not responsible.....