Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Annoying Cel, P0133, Help Needed

Old 11-01-2008 | 01:30 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent

Heres my problem, my car had the cel come on bout 2 weeks ago. The codes were p0133 and p0136. P0133 is the first sensor is slow, p0136 is the second one has a circuit malfunction.

Well then the p0136 changed to p0137. P0137 means that the second one has a low input. Well the thing is that i have replaced both 02 sensors already. The code p0137 went away, but the code p0133 still persists. Don't know what else to do. Some help would be much appreciated. I was told that maybe the front 02 sensor that i bought is faulty, could be.

They are both made by bosch if that helps anyone. Haven't found a whole lot on this topic, so maybe someone can help.
Old 11-01-2008 | 01:45 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

if you haven't done any modifications to your car then you would have to return the sensors. call Bosch and check this although they'll probably think you're a fool and disown you but call their customer service and try to return the product. reason being some bosh sensors have two wires that are reversed. always get Hyundai OEM brans sensors.

try one last time to clean your terminals. it's an electrical problem with the connection. you could reverse the wires yourself, but i don't know which ones they are and there are two white wires and you don't want to mix them up.
Old 11-01-2008 | 01:50 PM

that could be a possibility, but why would the code p0137 turn off after replacing the second 02 sensor, which was bosch also? But you could be right, im open to all the help i can get. I have tried cleaning the connections with electronic cleaner.
Old 11-01-2008 | 02:52 PM

the sensors go through a warm-up period and a drive cycle. after you reset your computer, the CEL P0137 will be stored in the computer throwing the code and lighting up your CEL until the drive cycle gets the proper readings. a drive cycle requires about 10-15, 20-30 miles of driving.

here's the link to my thread: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...10&hl=p0137

i hope it lightens things up more than it confuses wink1.gif 4 years ago, i had extended my sensors and mistakingly cut the first O2 engine side of the plug thinking wires didn't matter... (stupid stupid stupid). The code didn't go away until I wired them correctly.

i had those exact codes when i had the wrong wiring. if the wiring is wrong on one of them, then it'll throw both readings off. so right now you have only 1 code P0133 and the P0137 is gone? Or are both still there?
Old 11-02-2008 | 01:10 PM

I just went to advance auto parts bout 30 mins ago. Had them read the codes, now I have p0133, p1124, p1128. P1124 is fuel system lean at idle and p1128 is fuel system lean at part load. I read that maybe I have a bad MAF sensor, so im gonna swap it out with another that i already have. This would explain why Im smelling gas.

No one has any ideas? hmmph. Well i think i may be on to something. See my exhaust manifold has a couple cracks in it, which i heard they are notorious for. So if the exhaust is leaking before the 02 sensor, wouldnt it register as running lean, and therefore add more fuel. Just a thought, maybe thats why Im smelling gas.

Im thinking bout buying some headers and hopefully that will solve my problem. I have heard that installing headers won't cause a CEL. Can anyone verify this? Thanks for your help and hopefully some input.
Old 11-02-2008 | 02:17 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

P0133 O2 sensor circuit slow response
P1128 Long term fuel trim multiplicative, system too lean
P1124 Long term fuel trim additive, air system too lean

I would put money that your exhaust manifold is causing some issues. Also, I would check your wiring harness with a continuity check to see if all the wires are in good working order. I've attached the wiring diagram for the oxygen sensors. Also, measure the resistance between terminal three and four, if it's greater then 30 Ohms, it needs replaced. Hope this helps.

Old 11-02-2008 | 04:41 PM

^that diagram don't show the color scheme.

I have heard that installing headers won't cause a CEL

it's usually the opposite. they tend to cause CEL's because you're eliminating the $800 OEM cat and putting in a $50 one that is operating at a different temperature in a different location with the second sensor extended. somewhere down that path you're bound to get a CEL unless you're 100% know exactly what you're doing.

heres a diagram i made with the help of bullfrog, with the exception of the white wires (thanks bud)

if you're smelling gas, there's probably a crack in the manifold. usually Hyundais have a recall for cracked exhaust manifolds, so you would be able to go to the dealer and have it replaced for free. i'm not sure if 1997's are included. they're probably not, and they wouldn't do you favors like that so easily. it's hard enough getting any recall fixed. the exhaust leak can mess with the exhaust pressure, but i doubt that is the problem.
Old 11-02-2008 | 05:41 PM

I think yesterday it was, i compared the wiring on the oem 02 sensor to the bosch sensor, and the wire colors all matched up exactly. So i seem to be good there. I think it was role reversal who suggested that maybe the 02 sensor was bad. Do you think that my fpr could be going bad? I think that yamaha stated that installing headers would not cause a CEL, so Im guessing he knows what he is doing, since his cars are turbo and most likely don't have a cat. But who knows.
Old 11-02-2008 | 07:55 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Nov 2 2008, 06:41 PM)
it's usually the opposite. they tend to cause CEL's because you're eliminating the $800 OEM cat and putting in a $50 one that is operating at a different temperature in a different location with the second sensor extended. somewhere down that path you're bound to get a CEL unless you're 100% know exactly what you're doing.

if his 97 tib is the same setup as mine (which i'm sure it is), his car only came with 1 cat

i put on a cheap header off of ebay because of a cracked manifold. replaced my 1st o2 sensor because it was throwing a CEL (and also because it broke while trying to unplug it from the OEM piping) and have had no CEL since
Old 11-04-2008 | 07:57 PM

Well, i tinkered with some MAF sensors and some of the MAF wire harnesses and I seem to got the exhaust smell to go away. The wire harness on my MAF sensor is spliced on there due to the original going bad. Seems that one of the wires came undone, causing the codes p1124 and p1128 to be set off. Well, im guessing that is what is causing that to happen.

So now the only code of have is p0131, first 02 sensor low voltage. I am getting another 02 sensor from o'reilly's tomorrow to see if that will help, cuz the one I have is under warranty and someone suggested that it may be bad. Hopefully this will fix my problem.