Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

All of you CAI experts..

Old 06-12-2002 | 11:17 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon
Default All of you CAI experts..

Hey answer to me asap please...
Tomorrow i am gonna buy a filter for my AOS style cai{custom}.Please suggest me the type and size of filter.
If anybody owns the original aos cai please tell me what shape and size does this cai have.
Hurry up please,i dont want to buy sth improper.I want a big filter though to suck a lot of cold air....
Hurry up please....
Old 06-12-2002 | 11:22 PM

I have a spectre Cone filter works fine (3" base)

Any unobstructed cone filter should do you.

Stay away from the "Ram Air" ones. They have the funky heatshield and such.

They are ussless unless you are really running ramair.

K&N/AEM etc...
Old 06-14-2002 | 01:43 PM

This is the K&N cone filter I use on my custom CAI. Part# RX-3820 It's different than most filter because it also sucks in air from the very top of the fliter. It's suppose to flow better than any other filter because of it's design.

Here is some info on the fliter
http://www.knfilters.com/universal/X-stream.htm
Old 06-15-2002 | 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

If you can find one, go for an air filter with the top, and sides having filter material. Most filters have a solid top.

Stay away from any filter that just uses metal mesh as their filter medium. These filters flow great, but they do not do a great job of filtering the air.

I personally prefer the "cotton gauze" style similar to K&N. I personally really don't like "foam" air filters. I just don't think they do a good enough job of filtering the air.
Old 06-15-2002 | 10:21 AM

So you think a Dragon Filter is a no no Random?
Old 06-15-2002 | 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

9o7TiB7o9:
So you think a Dragon Filter is a no no Random?
Correct, I do NOT like the Weapon-R "dragon" filter or the "monster flow" air filters.(ditto the the HKS foam units). I just do not think there is enough foam material there to filter the air properly, and I do not think the foam itself slows the air enough to allow the air to drop any particulates into the filter medium.

Also, every foam filter I have personally seen, break down over time. Exposure to the high heats in an engine compartment, and the chemicals required to "oil" the foam, causes them to break down over time. After 1-2 years, you notice bits of foam washing away with the dirt when you clean them.

Lastly....never use "foam" filter oil or cleaner on a cotton Gauze style filter.

Never use "cotton gauze" filter oil or cleaner on a foam filter.
Old 06-16-2002 | 03:11 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

On the same note about foam filter...
Most turbo I,ve worked on that were used with a foam filter showed lots of wear on the intake blades... looks like the foam will let enter small particules and they will "sand blast" the fragile aluminium bladesin one case on a MR-2 the blades lost half of their thickness
It might be good for MAX airflow, but for long term durability i prefer K&N
Denis