Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Airram Vacuum Lines

Old 01-21-2008, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited

here's the deal..i got an airram a while back and now i'm going to be putting it on. i did a search and found this thread http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...nstall&st=0. it's somewhat helpful, but i still have a couple of questions. 1) which vacuum lines are used and which are not? you can see on mine that there is a bolt plugging the far right hole, but in a picture from that thread it looks like the middle hole on the right side is plugged. first picture is my airram, 2nd picture is from Screwdriver's install from way back when. 2) will i be able to get the vacuum nipples at any old hardware or auto parts store? 3) does anyone happen to have a better description of doing the install? i'm fairly decent at reverse engineering things, but it's nice to have a little headstart going into things.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Just go outside. Look at your stock manifold. See what it is currently using, and measure the hose sizes. Then block off any extra holes.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:43 PM

much easier said than done. i took a look at the stock set up just now. i know that the airram changes the location of the vacuum fittings and all, but which ones go where? i also have a couple of grounding points attached to the stock manifold it looks like. how are those relocated?
Old 01-21-2008, 01:52 PM

It's not easier said than done. It doesn't matter where they go on the manifold cause it's in reality, just a huge air space with vacuum. Like I said, measure the diameters of the stock lines. Find where they can go on the new manfold, and get a few feet of it to cover the new distance.

Same with the ground points. You may need to add some extra wire to the end of those to ground them somewhere else on the new manifold. I already saw a few bolts on it that you can ground them at.

Seriously, you're making it harder than it is.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:56 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

It actually isn't quite easier said than done. It's vacuum lines dude. Maybe you shouldn't be doing this install if your questioning yourself on vacuum lines.

For simplicity, mark your stock vacuum lines to where they go on your stock IM. Than take off the manifold. Than install air ram. Look at the marking on the hoses and locate it on your stock IM you have off to the side. Now find a similar place to hook that line up on your air ram. Do this until you have no more lines lol. They all go to the manifold, it doesn't really matter where on the manifold.

For the grounds, you can locate them anywhere theres bare metal. I don't have an air ram so I'm not sure if it has a spot for grounds. Ground them to any bolts, that are bolted to the body, or engine, or engine mount...w/e, Don't ground them to your CAI tongue.gif
Old 01-21-2008, 02:01 PM

Look at the picture of his manifold. Boy, those two hex bolts on the back would make GREAT grounding points for wire eyelets, don't you think? eyeroll.gif

The bottom tube looks like the size of the idle controller.

The left tube looks like the size of the brake booster vacuum tube.

Seriously........
Old 01-21-2008, 02:22 PM

i guess i have made myself look like a dumbass. that aside, just so ya'll know, i am a mechanic of sorts for the army (wheeled vehicles) and i just got done putting a new clutch in along with a beta2 tranny swap. i just haven't done much work on civilian vehicles and i know that they are a little more complicated than the simple stuff we have. i found screwdriver's thread that has hose sizes in it so i'll be good on that. i hadn't realized that all of the lines could just go into any old hole on the airram. thanks guys.

i admit, i have had some tunnel vision when looking at this. i have been looking at how to use what's there now, instead of what i can add to make it work. thanks for helping out.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Wow, I wonder if any of the dozens of threads on this subject would have helped?
Old 01-21-2008, 04:09 PM

maybe i didn't go back far enough in my search. i went through about 10 pages each of "airram install", "airram hardware", etc. searches. the thread about screwdriver's install was the closest i could find, and it still left me slightly confused, hence this thread. now that i've been shooled on the fact that the position of the vacuum on the airram doesn't matter, as long as they're air tight, i'm pretty sure i'm good to go.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Banned

just makes it even worse to think that you are a 'mecahnic', much less for the army..