Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Air Ram / Tb Install

Old 04-19-2006, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Alright, went to my friendly online store KSpec and purchased an Air-Ram and 65MM TB. Yes, I'm taking the bite and trying out the 65MM on N/A, figure since its cheaper and I can help out the community a bit in the process. I'll let you guys know how that works afterwards. Before installs, I like to get a good idea of what I'm getting myself into, as I have limited time nowadays because of school/sports/college admissions/etc. and I need to allot myself enough time to get it done, and have everything ready beforehand and not go chasing after parts from the local Autozone. So far I've gathered I'll need:

Intake Manifold gasket (Pretty sure the stocker is non reusable)
A couple feet of 3/4 inch hose, high pressure 5/16ths hose, and 1/4 inch hose. These are for the coolant and vaccum lines that need to be extended.

Anything else? I also read about the Air Ram having an extra nipple, and problems with the wiring being tight. Will cutting the loom be enough to give it enough slack (the wiring)?

Anything else I will need beforehand, and how much time should I allot myself. I figured 2-3 hours, as it seems fairly straight forward when I look at it, but times you guys did it in would be appreciated.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:07 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Hey bro, my 65MM BBTB and Airram will be going on soon. I think TDonnell or someone else has done it allready though, no problems.

The gasket, you can reuse the OEM one, just be careful with it. You SHOULD get the Outlaw Spacers mang, get it all done at once.

The 3/4 inch hose, go to the parts store and ask them to look at their shaped hoses. Try to find one with a bend allready in it that will match up for the airram and your idle bypass. This will keep it from kinking later and the associated problems.

Extra nipple is easy to fix. Put on some left over hose and then clamp down a screw or bolt in the open end. Or just get a vaccum nipple cover, they have them in packs at Autozone and everywhere. I hadn't heard anything about tight wiring.

Time? If you haven't taken off your IM before, give it at least 4 hours. Go slow, don't lose anything.

if you've done it before, give it about 2 hours, tops.

Just check ALL of your connections.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:16 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

never doin a IM swap before it took me 2 hours (if you dont include when i snapped the bolt off the fuel rail be VERY careful on those...)

theres a DIY around here somewhere so check it out

you know what the hell your doin ham so i dont think youll have much trouble
Old 04-19-2006, 09:28 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Things to note

It's going to be hard as hell to get elbow to go around the 65mm TB, lol, sounds easy but you just wait..
Have access to a jack, it's a lot easier to get the bottom row of bolts out from underneath I would imagine, took me forever because I was too lazy to jack it up, also note you must first remove the stock IM support brace.
If you wanna keep your cruise control, make a custom bracket that would extend the place the vacuum pump mounts to by about 2 inches. That shouldn't take long though, drill 2 holes, get 2 nuts+bolts.
Again, for cruise control you'll have to make another bracket for the cruise/throttle cables. Bend a piece of metal at 90 degrees and drill 4 holes, use the single bracket they give u with the airram as a guide.
Just put a bolt in to block off the extra nipple.
The wiring is definitely a TIGHT fit, but if you cut the OEM loom you should be able to yank it enough to get it to work.
For the 3/4 hose I would not get silicone, its soft and you may run into problems with it kinking, its kind of a weird angle for it to come out from the airram and then go UP to the idle air bypass. I actually went to a hardware store and what I bought was a hardened plastic type hose which had like fibers in it, of course it gets soft with heat, but its rigid enough to not kink. I left my idle air bypass connected to the airram with the short OEM hose, and then connected the OEM silicone hose from the elbow DOWN to reach the white hose I bought which was coming off the other end of the idle air bypass (cuz it looked ugly so then I just connected to two hoses together underneath where you couldn't see them)

I would say 3-4 hours if you are trying to save your cruise, otherwise for just the IM/TB swap 2-3 hours is plenty for you.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:42 PM

Vehicle: 2000

i just did the swap and it took me about 3-3.5 hours. 30 minutes of that was spent trying to get off a stuborn bolt on the support brace thingy. It looks alot more difficult than it really is. Dont worry and most of all stay organized.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:43 PM

Yeah, it's only about a 2 hour job, but I added the extra time in for changing hoses, figuring out where to mount and move stuff.

That airram takes up a LOT of room.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Took me like 8 hours, but I also port-match'd my AIRRAM! tongue.gif Definately get the Outlaw spacers. Money AND time well spent! It will also give you back some of your low end torque by adding a little length to the runners. If you dont get it, it will eat at you until you do!!!!
Old 04-20-2006, 12:11 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You said you had to extend the coolant hoses, i hope your not going to re hook up the TB coolant tubes.

post pics when your done, i dont think ive ever seen your tib...
Old 04-20-2006, 09:29 AM

You can't hook the tubes up to the 65MM.