Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Air fuel ratio and ignition timing.

Old 07-04-2002 | 06:10 AM

Default Air fuel ratio and ignition timing.

I am tuning an Alpha and a Beta engines in an almost stock setup (CR to 11 to 1 and VP103 fuel). I am looking for the best power a/r and ignition timing table. Any experience on these parameters in order to reduce the tuning time?
Old 07-04-2002 | 08:00 PM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

Will you be using programmable engine management?
Old 07-05-2002 | 12:49 AM

Yes, I am installing a piggy back computer from Perfect Power (SMT=5) to tune both fuel and timing.
Old 07-05-2002 | 01:26 AM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

One of the guys here is actually the agent for PerfectPower, it's SCCA Elantra if I'm not mistaken, maybe you ought to drop him a PM and ask him about those, if my memory's still not that bad he should be THE guy to ask about this!

Good luck man.
Old 07-05-2002 | 02:13 AM
Red

At 11:1 compression with a stock head, you probably still don't need VP103 to get it running right IF you are indeed running a standalone. Of course, with all the proper supporting parts, it can't hurt

Suggested map:
On engine RPM maps above 2500, I'd suggest about 41 degrees of advance from 30+ inches of vacuum to about 10 inches of vacuum, and then ramp it down to around 35 degrees of advance at 0 vacuum.
At the 2500 point and below, I'd keep the advance down to about 35 degrees on the part-throttle (high vacuum) parts and have it ramp down to about 28 degrees at 0 vacuum.
Cranking map should be around 4 degrees of advance.

If you're running VP103, that should at least work. You may be able to get more, but not sure how much more. Of course your mileage may vary, depending on intake temperature heat, cam profile, piston design, blah blah etc you get the idea. Basically, don't cry if it pings wink
Old 07-05-2002 | 07:56 AM

They are FIA Group N rally cars so I do not care about fuel milage. Thanks a lot! I will start there and see how it goes.
Old 07-08-2002 | 01:00 PM

I also represent Perfect Power in Costa Rica. Unfortunately they do not have the tunning library nor the maps for the new Kefico ECU´s. There is no dyno around so I have to do it on the road. It is not that hard on the fuel side using O2 sensor but the ignition timing is a whole different thing, changes can be negligible, I intend to take advantage of the knock sensor and advance it just before I get a reading from the sensor. Perfect Power is actually waiting for my info to include it. Our system is MAP so there is also a dif there. Thanks for your interest.
Old 07-08-2002 | 01:45 PM

I think the US models are MAFS. Aren´t they? You also got dif. emission control stuff we do not need. I know you can set SMT-5 to either MAP or MAFS. When I am done I will send them to you. It could help as a starting point.