Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Added HP by removing O2 sensor?

Old 08-06-2001 | 03:37 PM

Default Added HP by removing O2 sensor?

I was talking to a fellow enthusiast who
has more experience in the field than I do.
He was telling me a few things that I could
do to increase HP/TRQ.
One of them was unplugging your O2 sensor
so that the ecu doesn't know how mutch oxygen is getting in, so it opens up your
fuel pump. He says that there is a 10hp
jump for something like that. Is this true?

Also he was talking about removing/disabling
the fogger?? Not sure what that is, but he said that that would help too.

Anybody can confirm/deny this?

ta
-nico
Old 08-06-2001 | 03:47 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Just be warned that by unplugging your O2 Sensor, you're gonna get a CEL. If you don't mind that, then go for it. But I'm not too sure on this mod, so hopefully someone else can answer your question better.
Old 08-06-2001 | 04:09 PM

Doesn't your mileage drop to **** too?

I could be wrong on this

[ August 06, 2001: Message edited by: KayJai ]
Old 08-06-2001 | 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

If you unplug one of your TWO (hint) o2 sensors, your ECU goes into "limp" mode. This means it dumps fuel like it was those damn AOL CD's.

You would run VERY rich, clog your cat, foul your remaining o2 sensor, foul your plugs, and have buku carbond deposits all over the inside of your combustion chamber.

Not exactly your recipe for power.

Smack up the dork who said this and listen to him as with as much attention as if he were trying to sell you the brooklyn bridge.

Guys...I've said it before, but apparently it needs repeating now and again.

There are no "secrets" to getting more HP out of an engine. Wonder Goop in your gas tank, unplugging your power windows, or switching to a smaller width belt are not going to gain you HP.

Your ECU decideds how much more fuel to add...how? VIA THE O2 sensor!!!!!!! If it detects RICH...that is not enough air, so it reduces FUEL. If it is LEAN...it adds fuel.

If you remove the o2 sensor, you cripple your ECU's ability to run your engine at peak performance.

If there were "secrets" to adding Hp to engines...don't you think we would all be sharing them? Hell, I'd have a New thread..."15 Extra HP by draining blinker fluid!

There are no shortcuts. There are not secrets. Go to your local Library, or Books store. Pick up a book on engine building. Sure, it may be all about V-8's and Chevy small block this, and Mopar Hemi that...but the theorys are sound, and still apply. Hell, if you dig, there are many books out there on tuning fuel injected engines.

Here endeth the lesson.
Old 08-06-2001 | 08:13 PM

Hey my first car was a Probe, I know about tyring to squeeze every ounce out of an engine you think should push more. Luckily I have a friend whom is a fully trained Hyundai Mechanic (he was the lead tech at the local Hyundai dealer before he opened his own shop). He knows these engines backwords and forwards and even when I threw ideas like exhaust and intake and 'chargers, he dissapointed me by saying that few mods to the car that cost under $500 really effect the performance much. He added that's the reason why K&N sales are going up because they are the cheapest way to squeeze a couple HP out of an engine and they are still $60. When I started my old Probe Performance Project (now defunct), I listed commandments to performance, two of them were:

3. Thou shalt not modify parts not meant for my car to fit my car.

4. Thou shalt not modify a part of my car with no or little improvement in performance or aesthetics.

Obviously, screwing with a temp sensor to dump gas is plain silly. You would lose milleage. Even "I" know that and I aint much for fancy car learnin'. smile.gif
Old 08-06-2001 | 10:36 PM

Originally posted by Random:
Here endeth the lesson.

Nice Untouchables reference there, Random!

As far as books go, I just got two turbocharger books, which also have great writeups on engine theory and tuning:

Turbochargers, by Hugh McInnes (hope I spelled that right)
Maximum Boost, by Corky Bell (the newer of the two, more on EFI engines)

These were recommended by the boost king of FX, Red, and they are great reads for people going boost or even staying N/A.

a
Old 08-07-2001 | 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Originally posted by Curtas:
Nice Untouchables reference there, Random!

As far as books go, I just got two turbocharger books, which also have great writeups on engine theory and tuning:

Turbochargers, by Hugh McInnes (hope I spelled that right)
Maximum Boost, by Corky Bell (the newer of the two, more on EFI engines)

I've got the same two, plus a couple more. I'll be creating a "book list" with prices and titles and all that.
Old 08-07-2001 | 01:34 PM

I love you guys! I'll go kick his ass tommorow. wink.gif
Old 08-07-2001 | 04:50 PM

Ok, im kind of confused??? The ECU tells the car how much gas to put into the engine...The O2 sensor tells how much O2 is in the...fuel??engine??...Where does the o2 sensor...um sense? and is a CEL a check engine light. I hope i dont look to stupid asking these questions...
Old 08-07-2001 | 09:57 PM

The O2 sensor tells the engine how much oxygen is left in the exhaust stream. If there's too much, not enough fuel is being dumped. If there's too little, too much fuel is being dumped. If it's just right, the A/F ratio is perfect.

Unfortunately, the exhaust temp affects readings, so what may be perfectly tuned at mid-cruise/mild-driving may be way off on cold days, hard driving, boost applications, etc.

a