Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

60k/t-belt Questions

Old 03-01-2008, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done some searching on here, and still have a few questions.

t-belt should be changed at 60k, right? I saw most people say it is, but some who said it isn't due until 90k? which is correct? From what I understand, this is an interference engine, and to me it's not worth the risk of waiting to do it.

What should all be changed at the 60k mark? I'm assuming timing belt, but what else? A call to both local dealers offered a 60k service for around $550 that basically boiled down to changing the fluids, and cleaning the injectors. lmao.gif

I asked them about the timing belt and they said that's a seperate service and runs $299. Doesn't include the tensioner or water pump, and the service manager said it isn't necessary??? Every car I've come across usually suggest replacing the tensioner & water pump along with the timing belt.

So, here's what I'm thinking, we should change the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and accessory belts. Maybe do a coolant flush & trans fluid/filter change (automatic). New plugs & wires. Dealer will probably be doing the belts/water pump, etc, and I can handle the rest.

Does all of this sound about right? Am I missing anything?

Is there anywhere where I can find a suggested maintainence schedule? And is there anywhere where I can get a service manual (cd or the actual books), or a chilton's / hayne's manual?

Thanks,
Chad
Old 03-01-2008, 10:08 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Run a search for "webtech" We have a universal login there and it will tell you everything. Its the service manual online.

The water pump should be changed along with the tensioner I think. A kit from SFR (a vendor here) will run about $200.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

What does your manual say?

At 60,000 miles, you should AT LEAST:
change your transmission fluid (Automatics are very specific, get it from the dealership or let them do it), change your spark plugs, oil, oil filter

The dealership will do the following and charge you, but they're completely unnecessary:
top off blinker fluid levels, replace muffler belt, tune your windshield wiper module, spark test your battery, and wrench tap your valve cover.

I called a dealership two weeks ago just to check prices, I think they told me $300 and that included tensioner and all belts. Since they have to remove the belts to get to your timing, might as well replace them... no extra labor involved.

I just checked mine, had it replaced at 66,000 miles.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:54 AM

Then again the Wiper module should really be properly tuned by a professional.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:21 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

THE WATER PUMP DOES LAST TILL 120K

the one on my beta1 was running just fine. i had my local serivce manager tell me dont worry about it, he hadent advised one changed in his 8years of service. just wait till you go back at 120k for water pump if your hard up, i'm on my second engine and when my t-belt comes up this summer i'm not going to change this water pump either.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:32 PM

Got 71k on my 01, and haven't changed timing belts. Car runs just fine, no broken belt yet tongue.gif
Old 03-01-2008, 01:07 PM

I always do water pumps when doing timing belts. It isnt expensive at all and I would rather just change it and not worry about it while im at the aprt of the motor. The timing belt could last to 100k also but I would still change mine before that. Beats replacing valves.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

you might know now the timing belt is going to break until it does... preventative maintenance is much easier, cheaper, and faster than repairs.

My water pump is fine after 130,000 miles.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:41 PM

Is water pump DIY easier or harder than doing timing belt?
Old 03-02-2008, 02:36 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to look into the price of a water pump, it's just such a PITA to have to redo the timing belt just if the water pump does decide to die (has happened to me on 2 different cars).

And thanks for the webtech, that's going to help me ALOT.

cool.gif