Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

2nd Gear Problem

Old 02-02-2008, 08:45 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Feb 1 2008, 01:17 AM)
yeah my second gear grinds when not shifted at the right time. usually if you give the gas an extra kick it goes in directly but most of the time it's uncertain and you have to "stuff" the gear in. do i have to go through a tranny fluid flush or just add new fluid?

i think it's the synchros because 1st gear won't go in until near stop... f*ck that synchro sh*t in my dad's VW in europe that thing is simple and sweet. These Hyundai transmissions are cheap and hopeless.

I've noticed that when I shift hard regularly, the synchros don't do as good of a job. Try easing off of the synchros and making sure you don't have anything under the pedal like a floor mat that can interfere with the shifting. If the clutch isn't fully disengaged, then you're making the synchro work tons harder and burning it out. It's basically a clutch of it's own that gets the gears spinning when you push on the stick.

Also, first gear is designed not go to in until near stop. They do this so that you don't slam it into first (the lowest gear) at the highest speed and screw up your transmission/engine by overrevving to 9,000K. Driving at 70mph a accidental shift into first gear would destroy the engine and most likely the transmission.

I also was told that first gear does not have a synchro. I'm not sure if that's true but you're supposed to be driving <5mph before using first gear. Faster speeds then 5mph are for 2nd gear. 1st gear is only for takeoff.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Tibs shift hard from 1st to 2nd until they warm up.