Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

2k2 spectra w/ 2 cats

Old 06-19-2002 | 02:37 AM

Default 2k2 spectra w/ 2 cats

i noticed that my car has 2 cat convertors as far as i know in ohio i only need one for emissions? or is it just standard now to have 2?
Old 06-19-2002 | 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

You might have 1 cat and several resonators or 'pre-mufflers'.

if you stop by a local exhuast shop and ask them, they should be able to put it up on a lift and tell you.
Old 06-19-2002 | 04:16 AM

well i went to the kia website and looked and it said it was a cat and it has an o2 sensor before and after it....it comes right after the exhaust manifold
Old 06-19-2002 | 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

if the o2 sensors are before and after it...then that IS the first cat.

Where's the second?
Old 06-19-2002 | 05:30 AM

This is the same set up I have on my 2001 Spectra. There is a O2 sensor before and after the precat. Then after the 90 degree turn in the exhaust is the main cat. It has no O2 sensor after it. I wouldn't mess with the precat. Reason being if you gut it your going to have your check engine light on. The second cat can be gutted without a check engine light. I have done this. But I noticed no improvement in performance.

To get any kind of improvement the exhaust pipe is going to need to be a larger pipe from the exhaust manifold all the way out the back, since the pipe, stock is only around 1 1/2 inches in diameter. You could replace the precat with a highflow full cat but you'd have to reinstall the the O2 sensor that's before the cat and also the one after it. I have looked for a highflow precat and no one makes one.

I do know that it's illegal to replace a good cat before 50,000 miles unless it's damaged. Also removing any emissions equipment for any reason unless off roading is illegal, by ferderal law. If your caught with only one cat and it was made with 2 your screwed.

I was just going to buy 2 full highflow cats and install the O2 sensors where they were originally located.

Some high flow cats will still end up having the check engine light come on. I had this problem on my last car. http://www.xtremeflow.com has a very high flow unit that is CARB approved and made for 2001 and later vehicles that will not through trouble codes at you. I have contacted them and they have a cat that will work on the Spectra.
Old 06-19-2002 | 05:44 AM

If you have any questions about this just message me or e-mail me.
Old 06-19-2002 | 06:45 AM

ohio isnt too through about cats as long as they see it its ok specially where i live even if it isnt the original cat..my friend had his comaro pass with just headers, straight pipes and glass packs...$50 can get you a pass if you go to the right e-check lol so i guess ill look into a full exhaust now.
Old 06-19-2002 | 07:57 AM

God be with you if you get caught. My wife lived in Cincinatti OH before I entered the service and she has told me a few stories about getting caught with emissions being removed or replacedand being hammered with fines that most couldn't pay with a years salery.

Good luck. Don't get caught paying someone off to get you to pass a emissions test. You'll be looking at jail time.
Old 06-19-2002 | 08:01 AM

it doesnt amtter anyways ohio is trying to get rid of the e check anyways..
Old 06-19-2002 | 08:44 AM

You should check on that because my wifes mother still lives in OH and she hasn't heard anything like that. Most states are going to it. I doubt you see it go away. It makes the state to much money. Anything that makes the state money probably isn't going away.