Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

2 CATs???? WTF???

Old 04-17-2002, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess its time to look under my car!
Old 04-17-2002, 11:46 PM

Well since i put my cat back i dont think any thing changed and its cali spec has 1 cat had 1 resonater.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:51 PM

Vehicle: Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart GSR

Since installing the SR 4-2-1 and a 'cat-back' I no longer have a cat mwuhahaha! I suppose that means that I have a 'header-back' instead?
Old 04-18-2002, 12:40 AM

To those who have two cats and are removing one.

Ya'll know thats illegal right? Even if it is Cali Spec and you are not in Cali, if they found out the car is suppose to have it and it does not. You could get fined $5k (never happen) and will just ned having to get the second cat put back in.

Random? Am I correct with this?

Could also someone replace the two cats with two high flow cats for a n/a or f/i application?

Atleats that way, you can aruge it has two cats.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:07 AM

Okay,I hope I'm correct but I do believe that all Hyundai's get shipped to the US through Cali because its the quickest way to the states, so if Hyundai's come in to the US through Cali that means that all of the cars have to have Cali emmisions which in turn means there must be 2 cats so most hyundais should have 2 cats!
Old 04-18-2002, 03:49 AM

hey thanx for the replies. Borg....DUH! rolleyes.gif
i did search before i posted actually. Nuthing really answered my question on any of the boards that i searched on. I even went to the HMA site and downloaded the diagram. It defintely shows 2 catalytic converters and no note about it being a resonator in some states. What really confused me was that there is no O2 sensor after the second cat and thats unusual. So that said....

Who knows fer sure whats up with the second cat? Can it be taken off and still pass emmisions? will it give me some good gains or are the gains negligeable enough that i should leave the sucker on there? I wonder what random has to say about this...he's usually got some good answers up his sleeve smile.gif
Old 04-18-2002, 04:12 AM

Any removal of any cat will fail in visual inspection of smog test. All 2k and up tibs in cali have two cats. And guess what the 2k3 has 1 cat on each header then a resonator after. You most likly pass the actual testing of the emissions. But remember there are diff catagory of cars as far as emssions. What I will be doing is register my car in Florida where my family lives because in that county no emssion testing is required(unless the law has changed in 5 years)

So this is what most do to there exhaust buy either 4-2-1 or 4-1 put O2 sensor before a high flow cat and then one after the high flow cat.

Someone correct some of my statements I might be wrong in some areas.