Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

2 boxes?

Old 06-09-2002, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 boxes?

i am thinking about going a custom intake for my 98 tib. i was looking over my intake today and saw 2 boxes that i couldn't figure out what they did. one is attached to the top of the intake and the other is a very long box attached to the bottom of the intake. both boxes are just before the filter. does anyone know what they are and how to get them off?
Old 06-09-2002, 10:40 AM

Vehicle: 02 beta accent, 91 gmc syclone

Here you go, http://webhome.idirect.com/~trini/car/freehp.html . I think you are talking about the resonators, 1 scoop and 1 box in front of the air-box. That site should guide you well.
Old 06-09-2002, 02:20 PM

You are talking about the resonators. And how to get them out? Well, after you dissasemble your air filter box, just start ripping (and I mean ripping) the pieces out!! Have fun!! tongue.gif

Was that a five star answer or what! wink
Old 06-09-2002, 04:40 PM

Vehicle: na

will taking those things out actually do good to the hp? don't we need that to suck in the air from the front of the car even if we have an air filter?
Old 06-09-2002, 04:53 PM

will taking those things out actually do good to the hp? don't we need that to suck in the air from the front of the car even if we have an air filter?
Taking them out does absolutely nothing to increase hp. They don't acctually "suck" in air either and are not needed. Many of us have taken them out to either put in our own custom CAI or just for a different sound from the engine.
Old 06-09-2002, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The resonator boxes are there for 2 reasons.

#1. To give the engine air to draw from when you open the throttle to try to improve throttle response.

#2. To dampen intake noise.

They do a much better job of #2, than #1.

Just removing them (leave the stock airbox) will show a marked improvment in throttle response, at the expense of higher intake air temps, and a minor increase in noise..

Removing the stock airbox and strapping a cone filter on the MAF will again, show a marked improvement in throttle response, at the expense of higher intake air temps and a large increase in engine intake noise.

Replacing the whole stock setup after the MAF with a CAI will show colder intake air temps, an increase in throttle response, and depending on which CAI you go with, a large to moderate increase in engine intake noise.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:45 AM

Random what about those CAI tubes that are like 3 inch with a 4 inch section. They say they have a resavoir.. Do thos actually work?
Old 06-10-2002, 02:13 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Look everyone, we've been thru this before.

TAKE OFF YOUR RESONATORS!!!

All it takes is a 10MM socket, a ratchet, and an extension. Should take about 30 minutes total. Take out both the top and bottom one (Push the bottom one out under the car) and you'll have alot more room in the engine bay and it will be cooler because of it.

Then, when you can afford it, go for a CAI or the Random Special.

Random, I'm thinkin of doing the RS CAI instead of waiting for the SR. If I heat wrap it, can I DYE the wrap or something to make it less drab?

Any suggestions?
Old 06-10-2002, 06:47 AM

yea you can

you can use high temp paint and paint over the heat wrap
Old 06-10-2002, 11:48 AM
BV1

I actually dynoed (GTECH two runs 119 w/ and 117 w/o) a 2 HP loss with the resonator and snorkel removed. The IAT read a value of 64 C on a 15 C day. I believe the lost HP was due to the high intake temperature. I would leave it stock or go CAI...

My opinion,

-Steve