Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

1.8 Cam And Shifting Problems

Old 01-31-2009 | 06:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Alright so I installed a 1.8 cam a couple months ago and ever since then my auto seems to have a problem shifting out of 1st if I floor it, it goes to red line then sits there for a sec. What it does is it goes to red line then I hear what I used to think was the rev limiter but after hearing what the rev limiter sounds in 01Steve's car this is definitely louder. Also with this I get a major shift shock when it finally decides to go to 2nd. This is only on first, after first the tranny shifts fine. Now to the questions:

Since the 1.8 cam advances the timing can it be that this is too much of a variation from stock that the TCM has problems shifting? I've heard that I probably need to have the TCM reflashed but honestly I don't care since I'm doing the auto --> manual swap in the next 2 months or so.

Or is my tranny just dying on me? Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the case because I drive quite spirited lol, but seeing how this all started after the 1.8 cam install, the only logical conclusion can be the cam.
Old 01-31-2009 | 08:06 PM

i will try the 1.8 cam swap within the next months. question on my own TCM stands for traction control module?
Old 01-31-2009 | 10:15 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Mine was doing that before the last trans rebuild, but I am still bone stock so I am not sure if the cam alone would cause that. I wouldn't think so.
However under normal driving conditions mine also shifted really hard between gears first thing in the morning and after sitting for 4+ hours. Yours might not be trans failure, but it sounds similar to what I've been battling for 6 months so be on the lookout for other symptoms.

I push my car pretty hard too and managed to eat through 3 end bearings thus far (which seems to be the main culprit of the failure and pretty common in auto Tibs.) I my opinion the best mod you can do to an auto is a manual swap. The auto is too weak for any really fun driving, and the swap seems pretty easy. The only reason I haven't yet done so is because my wife refuses to drive a manual.
Cars are easier to fix than feminine stubbornness. wink1.gif
Old 01-31-2009 | 10:27 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

My auto would do that sometimes if I took off when the engine was cold. It would get up there then freeze and hold at 6k rpms instead of shifting. You got a feeling almost like you hit the breaks but not quite that bad.

Mine would only do it once and that was if it even happened.
Old 01-31-2009 | 10:55 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

same problem with only a CAI no other mods. i think thats just how the auto trany shifts when you run it hard.
Old 02-01-2009 | 12:02 AM

Vehicle: 06 suby impreza outback sport

i've got i friend here who has an auto tranny and she's always having tranny problems. putting a 1.8 cam in shouldnt do anything unless it's timing is off big time.
Old 02-01-2009 | 01:41 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I kind of figured the cam wouldn't cause this since it had never been mentioned before on here. It just raised my suspicion because the tranny has never done this prior to the cam install. Oh well only approx. 2 more months and I should be able to do the auto --> manual swap. Man I can not wait lol.
Old 02-02-2009 | 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Tony V: Transmission Control Module

Bommello: The transmission conversion is a pretty good amount of work but I am SO glad I did it! If it were not such a hassle, I would say it is a must-do mod for everyone who wants their RD to be quick or fun to drive.
Old 02-02-2009 | 07:52 AM

I know exactly what you mean, after riding in a 5spd tib all I can say is I've been missing out on a good amount of fun lol. I'm currently eying a 2000 Elantra to use as my parts car, if everything works out I hope to soon be done with this autotragic and all the misery it brings lol.
Old 02-02-2009 | 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you have a parts car, at least do like me and snag the elantra's cylinder head if you can, and give it a P&P job.