Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

As of 00:22 MDT this morning, the Haltech is alive...

Old 05-03-2002, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Red ....

Nice to see the car coming back together. Got a question for you ... What kind of ignition are you planning to run? The reason I ask is that I just got some information at work on the new MSD box. Looks pretty nice, but I wasn't sure if it will work along side the Haltech. Take a peek ... follow all the links if you can cuz there is more info thna the front page.

MSD Digital 7 Programmable
Old 05-03-2002, 02:05 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Red, it sounds like all is going well. PM or email me.
Old 05-05-2002, 10:57 AM

Red,

Do you have the latest software version of the E6K? It is suppose to have the modifications necessary to use a 3 wire idle control. Also in terms of ignitors, we prefer to use M+W ignitors.

Do you have a part number for the direct port nitrous kit? A drag car that we are building for another shop will be running a T78 AND he wants to run nitrous.
Old 05-06-2002, 02:11 AM

hey cheuk email me,... i have a BETTER option for a direct port thats in the works
Old 05-06-2002, 12:17 PM

http://www.haltech.com/Newsletter/newsletter.html

Read the whole article.The E6K works with the DIS2 and stock coils nothing else is needed.Thats the way i have mine wired up.
Old 05-06-2002, 02:33 PM

onpol and red are neck-and-neck. Who can get there car together the fastest? tongue.gif

Good job guys, breaking ground for the rest of us!

do you guys have some pictures, so we can drool?
Old 05-07-2002, 12:51 AM
Red

onpol:
http://www.haltech.com/Newsletter/newsletter.html

Read the whole article.The E6K works with the DIS2 and stock coils nothing else is needed.Thats the way i have mine wired up.
Well I'm getting conflicting answers here...

Hitman and Haltech are telling me I need ignitors. MSD is telling me that the DIS2 unit is not an ignitor nor can it be, because the DIS2 is only a primary winding amplifier (which MUST come after the ignitors) HMA (not Webtech) is telling me the ignitor modules were contained within the stock ECU.

Guess what? Stock ECU removed = no ignitors. According to the manual, the Haltech might work without ignitors on those coils, but only for a short time. Eventually, according to the manual anyway, it's going to burn up trying to continually run it.

I'm aiming for the safe side and using external ignitor boxes. I'd rather spend the $50 on an RX7 toggle ignitor than $800 and a full day of ripping apart the dash for a new Haltech brain. sad.gif

As for my Haltech software -- the software that I have (January 2002 - v6.34) is NEWER than what Haltech has for a download. I still have no support for a 3-wire idle speed control motor. Hell, maybe I do have support for it, but I haven't the first clue how to wire it into the 4-wire harness.

Time to go junkyard shopping for a 4-wire GM idle speed controller. As for pictures, yeah I've got a handful. I'm going to take a few more of the engine bay finished and loomed. so you can see how our wiring job turned out. I think it went really well...
Old 05-07-2002, 01:16 AM

OK - I forgot to tell you guys the Holy Ghost is acting as igniters and thats why my car has been running for about 7 months with the Haltech E6K and the DIS-2 using the stock coils nothing else smile.gif
Old 05-07-2002, 02:14 AM
Red

Hehe, well if that's the case wink But still, I'd much rather be safe and spend $50 than find out I wasn't right. And besides, I need the toggle ignitor to run fully sequential injection. If I don't use it, I'm stuck with batched fire.
Old 05-07-2002, 02:52 PM

Good, Looks like you got the latest software... version 7... not yet available on the website.

I was told that it should work with a 3 wire idle control... the wiring is a little different but the software is supposed to support it.

I have no experiance with the DIS-2 but as you found out the ignitors are not in the ECU. We just replace the ignitors with M&W units because the stock ignitors on their own will burn out. My guess is that the DIS-2 is working as an ignitor.