DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy - Bbtb Install & Throttle Body Bypass Mod (free!)

Old 01-26-2008 | 05:55 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

And what about the coolant hoses then? Should I modify the bbtb to connect those?
Or should I swap the tb and reroute the coolant hoses in a "U-turn"?
Old 01-26-2008 | 08:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

It depends on what BBTB you get. Some have the coolant option others don't. If you get a BBTB and it does not have the connections then just do the U bend and bypass the TB.
Old 01-27-2008 | 12:46 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I've never, EVER seen a BBTB with coolant nipples on it for us.

The only way to do that is to have a overbored OEM one.

I've never heard of anyone having any problems with this mod done.
Old 01-31-2008 | 01:54 PM

Ok I am really really thinking about buying a BBTB from SFR. But I do have a few questions before I buy it. What size should I get for my car? Does it really matter? (will my injen intake fit over it?... <thats probably a noob question) I read this DIY and I saw that you need to replace your gasket because the old one is to small? Where can I get a new one? Also on this DIY I saw you need to mod the throttle cable end on the kspec BBTB but will I have to do this to the one on SFR?

Sorry if these questions sound noobish lol O and one more thing is it worth the $$$ to get this thing?
Old 01-31-2008 | 03:34 PM

Really, you should search. It's been asked and answered before.

Honestly, if you are just going to be mildly NA, go for a 60MM to 63MM. A bit wilder would be 63 to 65. Your injen, or any intake, does NOT go over your BBTB, the coupler does, and yes, these will fit it. Size does matter, so pick carefully.

My FIRST BBTB, the one in the picture, came with a gasket. You'll either need to get a phenolic one from Outlaw Engineering and tell them what size you want, or get some gasket material and make a new one. You could try cutting the OEM one down more too.

You won't have to mod anything, as these throttle bodies are no longer available. If you have cruise and want to keep it, you will have to buy another pulley anyways, and they'll work unmodified.
Old 01-31-2008 | 03:43 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RED ZMAN @ Jan 31 2008, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Really, you should search. It's been asked and answered before.

Honestly, if you are just going to be mildly NA, go for a 60MM to 63MM. A bit wilder would be 63 to 65. Your injen, or any intake, does NOT go over your BBTB, the coupler does, and yes, these will fit it. Size does matter, so pick carefully.

My FIRST BBTB, the one in the picture, came with a gasket. You'll either need to get a phenolic one from Outlaw Engineering and tell them what size you want, or get some gasket material and make a new one. You could try cutting the OEM one down more too.

You won't have to mod anything, as these throttle bodies are no longer available. If you have cruise and want to keep it, you will have to buy another pulley anyways, and they'll work unmodified.</div>

http://www.kdmstuff.com/shop/step1.php?number=676

^ Ok on the SFR site i can add 20$ for the cruise control pulley.. BUT im not sure If the TB comes with a gasket? Anyone know?

BTW thanks for all your help.
Old 01-31-2008 | 04:28 PM

If it doesn't say it does, and it's not in the picture, it won't. Yu can get a roll of gasket material at any auto shop for about $5. Trace your BBTB, open the butterfly and get some points down, then make the circleand cut.

Easy.

Please don't quote the post above yours, use the ADD REPLY button at the bottom of the page.
Old 08-02-2009 | 04:58 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Atelier Hp bores them out to 58mm, new butterfly, and plugs the coolant nipples as the wall might be to thin to have coolant flowing in the TB.
Old 08-02-2009 | 05:02 PM

So you're saying anything 58+ leaves the TB material too thin to run coolant. Is this because it would cool too much with less insulation? and another question, how big can you actually bore the OEM without actually compromising the structure/ functionality of the TB?
Old 08-02-2009 | 06:30 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

58mm is the limit on structural integrity. Actually I think its like 58.5mm but why chance it imo. If your willing I have some ideas that we could maybe work on. what are you going to school for btw?