DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy - Bbtb Install & Throttle Body Bypass Mod (free!)

Old 04-06-2006 | 11:31 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I have no idea how cold it has to be but upstate NY winter temperatures have not been cold enough to do it, and it gets as cold as hell gets hot.

I havent heard of this actually happening to somebody but i know what would happen if it did.

The car would start, most likely poorly if it was this cold, the car might have to crank 10+ times, finally start and appear to run fine. except when you tried to hit the gas the gas pedal wouldnt move, as the butterfly would be frozen shut. and you would be getting nowhere when you push the pedal, if you really stomped on it 1 of two things could happen. the sudden force breaks the ice and your throttle opens, which may or may not rid yourself of the probelm (now it may stay open a crack to far), or you snap the throttle cable/ break the pulley.

If this has actually happened to somebody id like to hear of it, because i think its highly unlikely. for a few reasons

Coolant doesnt get pumped through this unless the thermostat has opened, and even if it did when the car starts the coolant is just as cold as the air around it and the engine itself (its ambient). So if you think about it, until the car warms up your pretty much in the same boat as if you had done the bypass mod , aka at very low temps you would have this problem consistantly, until the engine warms even if you have the coolant in the throttle body.

Also remember that there is usually a thin lining of oil in your tb and intake because of the PCV venting into your intake. Even if you got a catch can, your car was stock at one point so unless you took out your throttle body and cleaned it with some degreaser then you still have a small amount of oil in your TB, enough to lubricate the edges of the butterfly, water and oil dont mix so there wont be enough ice buildup required to freeze the TB shut .

AND one more thing, when your engine does warm the coolant up, unless you have a phenolic spacer it also warms the intake manifold up which warms the throttle body up. So if you dont have the coolant running through your throttle body it will get heat from the intake manifold when the car warms up anyway.

The only time i see this actually happening is on a car where the PCV valve has been routed to a catch can, the TB and IM have been scrubbed clean with an oil solvent, a phenolic spacer is in use (IM or TB), and the driver happened to get a good amount of water vapor going through the engine right before shut off on a , and the temperature dropped drastically after the engine was shut off. Remember there isnt much water vapor in very cold air so it would have to be warm enough to hold a good amount of water, and ice isnt going to make it through the filter.
Old 04-06-2006 | 11:45 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Guys, don't worry about the bypass and cold weather. Unless you live in the north pole where your car would never see temperatures above 32.

And if you are really worried, just let your car heat up for 10 minutes. 10 minutes is plenty of time to physically heat a metal part like your bbtb under the hood, even in very cold temperatures. (unless you have a cai or vented hood i suppose..)
Old 04-06-2006 | 01:08 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

Curious: What size is the opening on our stock TB?
Rside is 61mm right?
Old 04-06-2006 | 08:25 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

52 mm i think?? search it.
Old 04-06-2006 | 08:57 PM

Vehicle: Hyosung GT650

OEM TB throat size is 53mm, but it can be taken out to 58mm.
Old 04-06-2006 | 09:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Someone let me know if they want this Tigerlilly 58MM, my pulley is on the way and I'll sell it when the other shows up.

As for DIY porting of the OEM IM, it SUCKS. There is some THICK stuff to go through.
Old 04-06-2006 | 10:00 PM

What tools were you using Redz? My Rotozip with flexshaft made short work of it. Up until recently I was using a cordless dremel though. That thing took forever and I was constantly switching battery packs. Ugh.
Old 04-07-2006 | 09:45 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I only did it on the Airram, and that wasn't that hard. Faithofadragon did it on a OEM one and it looked like a straight up b****. Of course, he was doing it to like 65MM I think.
Old 04-10-2006 | 03:08 PM

Great DIY but i have a question, on img 6 you make the 2 hoses to a u shaped hose. for cooling you say ? is that the same cooling that cooles the engine ? Or is it something else ?

Greetings From,

Ralph.

p.s. sorry for the noob question.
Old 04-10-2006 | 05:25 PM

Vehicle: Hyosung GT650

Yes it's the same cooling for the engine, but this simply takes the TB out of the loop. The oem setup warms the TB so the butterfly doesn't freeze, but we don't need it so bi-passing it helps keep the TB cooler & thus the intake air cooler.