The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Vomit

Old 01-12-2008, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

ok well i got back from fishing w/ the roomies and as we pulled in the driveway one of our friends was sitting behind my car. so we put our stuff away and i was in the garage and remembered that i had to get some stuff out of my hatch-... then i had to do a quick fix w/ the tail lights so i went up to the front to turn on the "ambers" to make sure everything still worked -...

and that's when i found vomit on my wiper cowl! right on the vent area so it acted like a filter where chicken/turkey chunks were on top and greasey fluid had filtered underneath the cowling. i wiped most of it up but, there were some areas that i could not reach so i took the hose and some soap and 409 cleaner-... and rinsed the sludge out of it-...

now my first assumption was a cat but, i've never seen a stray cat in my nieghborhood. and there was way too much gunk for one cat.

then i thought it was one of the racoons that keep getting into the garbage but, it was very dewey out when i got home and there were no footprints on my car.

that's when i thought of a horrible yet most likely scenario-... our friend who was sitting behind my car when we pulled up!

i have nothing against him and i'm pretty sure he's doesn't have anything on me-... he doesn't drink so, it's not like he was drunk. and i did find a paper towel close to where he was sitting.

i guess i'm gonna confront him tomorrow-... i'd only hope that if it was him that he'd own up to it.

but if he doesn't-... any suggestions?
Old 01-12-2008, 08:30 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Oh dang, that's messed up! That's going to make your A/C stink for a long time! Was he pissed you took your friends fishing without him?
Old 01-12-2008, 09:53 AM

Get some cleaner to run through your AC system to deodorize it. Not sure if you can buy it where you are with the laws or if you need certification since it goes in your ac lines.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:38 AM

nah, he came out fishing w/ us but left early-... matter of fact he even lent me his pole. honestly, i don't think he has the balls to do something of that nature.

after i cleaned everything (that i could see) up last night-... i ran the vent and the ac w/o smelling anything odd. we'll see what happens when the florida sun gets to it.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:12 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("97-97-005 A/C ODOR - CLEANING PROCEDURE")</div><div class='quotemain'>A/C ODOR - CLEANING PROCEDUREThis TSB supersedes TSB# 92-97-001
DESCRIPTION:An Air Conditioning Refresher is available to clean and deodorize vehicle air conditioning systems. The Refresher will assist in the elimination of musty, unpleasant odors which may come from the air vents when the air conditioner is first turned on in hot, humid climates. This odor may be the result of debris in the heater/evaporator case and/or microbial growth on the evaporator core.This refresher is not just a deodorant, but also a two-stage chemical cleaning process. The first cleaning agent is sprayed under pressure to clean and disinfect the evaporator core and case. The second step rinses and helps inhibit the reoccurrence of odor-causing build up. The rinse leaves a citrus scent.An application tool kit is required to perform the operation. The tool kit includes an application wand (for all vehicles except 1986-89 Excels), hose attachments, hanger, and laminated instructions. An optional wand for 1986-89 Excels is available separately. The A/C Refresher Chemical Kit contains a single application.SERVICE PROCEDURE:I. Special Instructions For 1995 - Present Sonata:<ul>[*]Remove the glove box, main lower dash pad assembly, and lower dash pad cover (see appropriate Shop Manual for details).[/list]<ul>[*]Mark the evaporator casing (refer to Figure 1).
  1. Draw a vertical line that is flush with the left edge of the cover plate boss.
  2. Measure 3 inches up from the case joint along the vertical line made in step A.
  3. Mark a spot to locate the hole to be drilled.
Fig. 1: 1995 - Present Sonata[/list]<ul>[*]Using a 7 mm drill bit, drill a hole shallow enough to just pierce through the evaporator casing at the location marked from step 2 (Figure 2).CAUTIONDrill only deep enough to pierce the evaporator case.
Fig. 2: 1995 - Present Sonata[/list]<ul>[*]Go to "Cleaning Instructions: All Models" section on page 5 of this TSB.[/list]II. For All Excel, Scoupe, 1992-95 Elantra, and 1989-94 Sonata:<ul>[*]Remove the glove box (On 1986-89 Excel, the glove box does not need to be removed).[/list]<ul>[*]Disconnect the connector to the blower motor resistor and remove the blower motor resistor assembly.[/list]<ul>[*]Go to "Cleaning Instructions: All Models" below.[/list]III. Special Instructions For 1996 - Present Elantra/Tiburon And All Accent:<ul>[*]Remove the glove box, and main lower dash pad assembly (on Accent, the glove box only needs to be lowered).[/list]<ul>[*]Mark the evaporator casing (refer to Figures 3 and 5).
  1. Draw a vertical line on the upper half of the evaporator casing that is flush with the left edge of the right side mounting bracket.
  2. Measure 2 inches up from the casing joint along the vertical line made in step A.
  3. Mark a spot to locate the hole to be drilled.
Fig. 3: 1996 - Present Elantra/TiburonFig. 4: Accent[/list]<ul>[*]Using a 7 mm drill bit, drill a hole shallow enough to just pierce through the evaporator casing at the location marked from step 2 (see Figures 4 and 6).CAUTIONDrill only deep enough to pierce the evaporator case.[/list]<ul>[*]Go to "Cleaning Instructions: All Models" below.[/list]Fig. 5: 1996 - Present Elantra/TiburonFig. 6: AccentCleaning Instructions: All Models<ul>[*]Place a drain pan under the A/C evaporator drain hose.[/list]<ul>[*]Attach wand to the spray tool. (An optional wand is required for 1986-89 Excels.)[/list]<ul>[*]With the ball valve closed, fasten the #1 aerosol Air Conditioning Cleaner can onto the spray tool snugly.[/list]<ul>[*]Place the tool hanger around the grooved slot on the spray tool adapter.[/list]<ul>[*]Hang the aerosol unit upside down, so that it hangs above the passenger door.[/list]<ul>[*]Insert the wand into the hole that was drilled in the "Special Instructions" section, or into the opening for the blower motor resistor. Open the ball valve.[/list]<ul>[*]Push the wand back to the far side of the evaporator. Press the trigger to activate the spray. Using an up and down sweeping motion, move the wand from the left to the right side of the evaporator. The unit sprays for a little over 30 seconds, so speed is required to clean all of the evaporator. (Also, for maximum cleaning, hold the wand close to the evaporator without touching the fins.)[/list]<ul>[*]Remove the empty #1 aerosol can and close the ball valve. Fasten the #2 aerosol can onto the spray tool. Hang this unit upside down above the passenger door.[/list]<ul>[*]Repeat steps 6 and 7. The air conditioning evaporator is now clean.[/list]<ul>[*]
  1. For vehicles that had the blower motor resistor removed, replace the blower motor resistor and reconnect the wiring harness.
  2. For vehicles that had an access hole drilled, cut a piece of Scotch Electrical Moisture Sealant (3M - PIN 06149) or equivalent to cover the drilled hole. Wipe the outside surface of the drilled hole with a clean rag.
[/list]<ul>[*]Replace the glove box, main lower dash pad assembly, and lower dash pad cover.[/list]<ul>[*]Open both front doors and start the engine. Turn the heat and blower to maximum. Run for about 10 minutes or until all of the alcohol odor is no longer present.[/list]<ul>[*]Clean up the area. Remove the drain pan and dispose of the contents as required by your local ordinances.NOTEContact your local treatment center for appropriate disposal criteria.[/list]PARTS INFORMATION:00232-12100</div>

I've had luck with just spraying simple green and then alcohol through the cowling and letting it run.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:19 AM

awesome!