The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Ticket Over 365 Days Old

Old 03-30-2008 | 05:07 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2UNIQ @ Mar 30 2008, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yes insurance companies have record of your OLD tickets but they cant use that against you BUT only within 3 years ..
Also just because you go to court and they lesser your fine your insurance will still incraese.For example if you get caught speeding and you get charged for 3 points and $200 fine and they were to drop it to $100 and NO POINTS your insurance will still incraese ............Even it went down to $1 you still get nailed on increase...
In an insurance companys EYE you convicted of a minor offence.</div>

I didn't know. I thought that your tickets were only reported if you got points.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2UNIQ @ Mar 30 2008, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>FURY..
Best thing to do when going to court is to be present 30 minutes before and locate the officer by his badge number and try to talk to him.
Another thing to do is when entering into the court room to say your HERE, plead NOT Guilty....they try to convince you for a lesser charge but be firm on what i said NOT GUILTY...Then when its time they call you up at the stand make sure you see f the officer is present and IF he is you can then plead guilty with Explination...If not then NOt guilty.
I can keep going on with some good things to say to get completely off BUT this is not the right place to say it nana.gif</div>

But if you didn't have a good argument, you would be considered guilty, even though you pleaded not guilty; it doens't matter what you plea, it matters what the court decides. And then, according to the prosecutor on the day I went to court, you're charged more than your ticket (to cover court charges) and you will still get the demerit points. In my case, btw, the cop was there. have you taken the approach of saying you're not guilty with the cop there? What was the outcome?
Old 04-15-2008 | 10:28 PM

Alright, this is weird. A year and a half ago, a co-worker told me aobut this 365 day rule (court throws out your ticket). I took it with a grain of salt. About 2 months before my March 2008 court date, a friend of mine (who is a cop), told me about this 365 day rule. That's when I really believed it 'cause it was the 2nd person to tell me this. That's when I decided to create this thread and ask for your opinions.

As you guys know, I asked the prosecutor on my court date, if such a law existed. She said no.

Yesterday, my cop friend went to court, and the person she had ticketed for a traffic violation, told the judge that his ticket was over 365 days. The judge then let him ENTIRELY off. (no points, no "lesser fine", nothing!). The judge then asked, "is there anyone else here whose ticket is over 365 days old?" And proceeded to throw out their cases as well.

This pisses me off! I'm hoping there isn't a next time, but in such event (and if my court date is set for 365 days after my hypothetical date of infraction), I will be telling the prosecutor that I am going to plead NOT GUILTY, and then I'm going to tell the judge that my ticket is over 365 days old! I guess that's the only way I'll know for sure laugh.gif If any one of you live in Canada and have a ticket over 365 days, consider giving it a try.