The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

So Pissed!

Old 03-05-2006 | 11:34 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^They quoted me $229.

The nearest best buy to me is 40 mi away and they dont have a repair shop in that store.

I could always ebay the laptop and see what i get. I guess thats the best I could do.
Old 03-05-2006 | 04:37 PM
DTN

Don't you have quick restore disks or a copy of windows xp? That's what they'll do first. have you tried to re-load windows? it's alot easier then you think. Microsoft makes everything simple. I came from the old school. We needed friends who know or classes to learn how to use computers (ie. to find all applications in a folder: C:\>DIR /A *.exe ; C:\DIR /A *.COM ;C:\> DIR/A *.BAT...). Now it's all just point and click, follow directions, so simple a 5 year old can do it unsupervised if they want to.

Have you tried calling the company you bought it from to ask if it's under any sort of warranty or to see if they have built in recovery software?

They've made it simple now. Just try to reload windows and save yourself about $250 because if that's all they do you're gonna be pissed when you see how easy it is.
Old 03-05-2006 | 04:45 PM

Ive done that before on other computers. But the thing is I dont have the CD with me. Its back in NJ and Im here in NY. Therefore, I have to wait maybe 2-3 days to get it from my dad.

Ill ask them what they will be doing.
Old 03-05-2006 | 04:57 PM
DTN

on the side of your case does it have your windows key code? If it says OEM anywhere in there you'll need a special version of windows to run it and it will narrow down your choices. If not, find any old friend who knows a thing or two about computers and ask them for their disk, you'll use your key, it's perfectly legal.

otherwise, the illegal option is to download limewire, click here to start transfer and search for the version of windows you'd like, if you have a dell, type "dell windows" if you have a gateway "gateway windows" click on the option that has the most sources and let her rip. You will download an entire windows cd and it should take between an hour or two up to a few days if there's no sources available. Limewire is also good for free music and movies so download it even if you don't plan on using it for windows.
Old 03-06-2006 | 02:26 PM

I have a bunch of crap on the back of my laptop. I dont remember whats back there cause I dont have my laptop now.

Ill see what they tell me tomorrow and if its some bs Ill take the laptop back, download windows and put it on a cd, and try it out. But will my files still be on there if I reinstall windows again?

UPDATE:

Wow, bad news guys. The guy called me and said that my hd is broken. He said he tried to get on there and make a copy of the files but it was so bad that he could only get some of my files. Which honestly Im not going to b-tch about because my most important files are on my comp. at home. He said something like if I get a used hd or something that my laptop wont last that long. I dont know. My new hd is going to cost $89.

I told him about Mac computers and he said that if I havent used one in a long time or ever then if I get one its going to be a learning process because they are much different then regular comps. and he said parts for them are more expensive.

So i dont know. I told him to get a new hd in there because if Im ever going to sell the comp I need it to work. This sucks ass though seriously. I dont know wtf happened that my whole hd just broke. Argh. I spent $800 on a laptop and what sucks is now I got to find another one, thatll be normal. Any help guys??
Old 03-07-2006 | 07:14 PM
DTN

look, contrary to what these "think different" and "31337" people say, the average user has NO BUSINESS owning a mac or a linux computer. There's a learning curve on both. a HIGH learning curve on linux. You have to modify alot of programs on linux just to get them to work. If you buy a mac, They say "think different". You'll think different when you try to buy software for it because you can't find any.

Get a used hard drive. No point in buying a new one. Your laptop is what? 2 years old? 4 years old? chances are that in the next couple of years you're going to get fed up with your laptop and start thinking about buying a new one anyways.. You can't upgade them. new version of windows is comming out soon and everyone will have to switch eventually.

trust me, go cheap, get used HD, keep it for a few more years and then sell it.
Old 03-07-2006 | 08:09 PM

^Well I couldnt get a used HD so I just bought a new one. It was only $80 which is really nothing to me. Ill see how the comp. runs and then come to a decision. I honestly just dont want to buy a new laptop and then decide I dont want it anymore in two days.

Ill think about it, and let you guys know.
Old 03-07-2006 | 08:20 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata

from my limited experience being a computer technician, it's very hard to recover data off a completely unfunctional hard drive, unless you took it apart and tear out each disc by disc (requires special tools)

otherwise, if you could see your hard drive, most info you could back up

Swift, your shop says it could save "some" files? i'd be suspicious about that.

also make sure what hard drive they're giving you. i'd say get Fujitsu hard drive, 5400rpm (for better performance)

60gb 5400rpm should go for about $100 CAD or $80 USD
Old 03-07-2006 | 08:47 PM

how big is he drive that you're putting in?

If HDD is bad.. you still can recover data.. if its clicking(you'd hear it) most of the time you can freeze it and get it working till ot worms up - yes, lot of times you can get data back..some of it at least. done that..(yes, stick the damn thing into the freezer)

229 - is standard OS service.. reinstalling windows, all drivers and what not...
Old 03-07-2006 | 08:56 PM

I just recently bought a new laptop.. its the new mac

Macbook pro 1.83 Intel Core Duo..

I am taking graphic design here in ohio, and its handles anything I can throw at it, along with the best graphic progs..

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...mily=MacBookPro

I got about 400.00 off from my school.