The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

So I Get Pulled Over Again...

Old 10-10-2006 | 12:18 AM

I'm sitting at an intersection, waiting to make a left turn. As soon as traffic cleared a little, I punched it and headed down the road. I noticed that there was COP sitting on the other side of traffic from where I was sitting waiting to make a left turn. So I got up to 40mph and let off the gas, threw it into 5th gear and coasted.

Just like I thought. Here he comes, he busted out from the left turn lane, and came speeding down the street after me. Gets behind me and filps on his lights.

So I pull over, he comes up, I say: "Good morning officer, is there a problem?"
Officer: "Let me see your license and registration."

Me: "May I ask why I'm being pulled over?"

Officer: "You were speeding. Let me get that license and registration."

(As I'm pulling out my license) "Isn't the speed limit 40 mph?"

Officer: "Yes it is, but I have you on radar going faster than 40 mph."

Me: "I'm sorry officer, but I was only going 40 mph. I was not speeding." (pulling out my registration now)

Officer: "Well you took off awefully fast from that corner."

Me: "Well, I was making a left hand turn. Of course I wanted to get out of the intersection fast because there is alot of traffic that was going through that road. When I saw and opening I went and got out as fast as I could. Would you not want to get out of the intersection quickly, especially if it was kind of difficult to see traffic coming past the rest of the cars making left turns?"

Officer: "Yes I would want to get out of the intersection quickly, however, I would make absolutely sure that the intersection was clear and there were no cars coming before I made my turn."

Me: "However, in the situation I was in, I went at the best time I could because it was difficult to see all the traffic. I went when it I was able to determine it was safe. Did I do something wrong in my decision?"

Officer: "Well, you accelerated too quickly."

Me: "I'm sorry, did I spin my tires?"

Officer: "No."

Me: "Did I chip gears accelerating?"

Officer: "No."

Me: "And I was going 40 mph.... so I don't understand why you have pulled me over. Could you please give me a reason why you have pulled me over?"

Officer: "Well, you were accelerating too quickly and I have you on radar speeding."

Me: "You have me on radar? Could I see this?" (Cause he was making a left turn. Like hell he had a hand held radar gun ready to watch me. I knew he didn't have me on radar.)

Officer: "Just wait here, I'll be back."

So he proceeds to his car. Sits in there for a couple minutes typing stuff on his dispatch computer. Then walks back up to my car, DOESN'T SAY A SINGLE WORD TO ME, hands me my license and registration, goes back into his car and takes off.

WTF..... Gawd damn... cops are freaking stupid sometimes. ACCELERATING TOO FAST? What the hell?!?!

So I get hassled again.... so stupid. No ticket, but of course, cause I did NOTHING WRONG and he knew it too.
Old 10-10-2006 | 12:29 AM

He sees: sports car, young kid driving, must be doing something wrong.

Happens to me all the time. There was a period that I didn't go a whole month without getting pulled over 2-3 times and my car is stock.

Also funny how you tell them EXACTLY what went down and then they realize oh kid is smart ill let him go.
Old 10-10-2006 | 12:35 AM

I had a similar experience with a biker cop who said I was speeding, but when asked couldn't produce proof of it and let me go.... Although I had to sit there 30 minutes while he was trying to figure out what he was going to do. And in that time I had another patrol car (with 2 cops in it) pull over to see what was going on, and by the end I had had a lecture/warning from 3 officers about speeding even though I wasn't..... Ohh the police. Sometimes annoying, but ultimately necessary. lol
Old 10-10-2006 | 01:37 AM

cops cops cops... drillsergeant.gif mad.gif always give the sh1ts to everyone in a sports car..

My friend was standing outside the car while it was parked, a cop drove passed, stopped, went back and gave him the ticket that his car was "too loud" (the car was parked and turned off but he saw the big muffler on the back and thats it..) mad.gif
Old 10-10-2006 | 03:48 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Thats cool that you got out of it though.

They like to pull me for no reason at all. And then theyll make up something to give me a ticket about. Whos the judge gonna believe, not me.

F*%ckers.
Old 10-10-2006 | 07:22 AM

From: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh

Cops blow...you are lucky that you got out of it even though it is evident that you did nothing wrong. I have not been so lucky, haha. I've gotten pulled over 11 times and I've only been driving around 2.5 years. I've only gotten a warning twice. I've already lost my license once and I'm one point from losing it again.
Old 10-10-2006 | 07:22 AM

People dont realize you NEED to ask questions as to why your being pulled over. If they say youre speeding, ask to see the radar, if they dont show you he will either not cite you or give you the ticket anyways and you can fight it in court.

ASK QUESTIONS...
Old 10-10-2006 | 01:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I got pulled over for the same thing before. Talked to him for a minute or 2, respectfully, and was on my way. No ticket, no nothing.
Old 10-10-2006 | 02:08 PM

I'm a police officer in a small town in southern NJ. You were most likely pulled over because of what your car looks like. You CAN be cited for accelerating too quickly. It would be considered careless driving. Even if you accelerate up to the speed limit. It sucks, I know, but there's nothing you can do about it. A lot of modern police cruisers have a radar unit mounted to the dash and the rear of the car. It doesn't always have to be hand held.

I don't know where people get this "ask to see the radar print out", because that varies by department. Also, the more questions you ask, the more likely it is you will get a ticket. If you are respectful and let me do my job, you get a warning. If you start questioning every move I make, you're leaving with a gift from my ticket book.

It doesn't seem like you did anything wrong. Most likely the officer was just being "ticket happy". Just so you know, those kinds of officers are frowned upon. It's "quality" traffic stops that are needed, not quantity.

Kudos to keeping your cool and not being rude.
Old 10-10-2006 | 02:48 PM

I've been pulled over for a lot of things. All kinds of stupid stuff. I've gotten out of so many tickets. I've been pulled over alot and let go too, because I really wasn't doing anything dumb. Alot of times they just pulling me over to check if I'm drunk or something else. I'm a fairly decent looking person. I don't have wild hair, I don't have a bad attitude (unless the cop is being *really* stupid), I don't look like I should be driving this car. So alot of times I get off just cause I look like a family guy... haha. But yeah, best thing to do when you get pulled over is just to keep your cool and be respectful, ask questions, and you can get off. Other times, cops are just trying to give you a ticket, it's all kinda stupid in my opinion.

But I've made my donation to the Police fund this year with a speeding ticket. I don't need anymore.