The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Rear-Ended Today!

Old 03-10-2005 | 04:11 PM

Default Rear-Ended Today!

Ok, so I got rear-ended today on the way to class. I was hit by a girl in her Cavalier that was sliding on the ice I had just slid across. It ended pretty bad for her, as her airbags popped, her windshield shattered, and the front end is messed up.
I, on the other hand, am pretty much okay. My neck hurts a little, but I think I am okay. Anyway, the damage is not that bad, as the pics at the bottom will show, it just sounds worse because of the airbags (probably only hit at about 20).
My question is will I be able to get an AM exhaust if they decide that mine needs replacing? I thought that I could smell exhaust in the car while driving, but the car is too low and the snow is too high to investigate the situation fully. Let me know what I can do guys!!

Old 03-10-2005 | 04:23 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

that sucks dude.

what do the laws state in a rear end? in MA, the fault is to the person who hit you. in new york it's 50/50. what about yours?

take a hammer to your exhaust tip. break it a lil. lol.

bumper doesn't look THAT bad. could be worse.

glad you're feelin somewhat ok
Old 03-10-2005 | 04:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Sure you can... chances are that they will say take it to a shop that can make exhausts and make a replica. Thats where 70% of those businesses cash flow comes from to pay for the bending machines.
Old 03-10-2005 | 04:26 PM

Michigan has no fault insurance, even though she got ticketed, she doesn't have to pay. Banging on that exhaust tip is a good idea. Ideally, I would have been pushed into someone, because then I could get the hood painted, that is where it needs it!
Incidently, I was very impressed with the rescilliance of the bumper. Same thing happened with my gf's neon, and it took the brunt of the force as well. Apparently little cars are fighters!

Just noticed myself in the reflection...LOL
Old 03-10-2005 | 04:30 PM

the good thing is, you are ok. Cars can be fixed, and I doubt yours will cost that much.
Old 03-10-2005 | 04:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ So true. Personally, I wouldn't drive a FWD LSDless Tib in that much snow and ice, just as much as I wouldn't drive my Corvette. Get a cheap few hundred dollar beater for those conditions. And if it gets rear-ended and costs a few hundred to fix, put it towards the Tib and leave the old beater beat up.

My dad bought an old '72 Lincoln Continental the other day... made of steel. I might drive that in the snow, could run into a tree and come off without a scratch. LOL.
Old 03-10-2005 | 04:38 PM

It doesn't really bother me that much to drive it in the winter...I only paid $8000 for it. It isn't comparable to a $40000 car in my opinion. That being said, I still love it, and I am glad that I have full coverage and I don't think I have a deductable either.
Old 03-10-2005 | 04:54 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

..you could always go to a body shop that gives "high estimates" and with the extra money get the hood painted ?
Old 03-10-2005 | 04:58 PM

Please be sure to take the necessary steps to protect your vehicle from further damage.
Depending on the cost of repairs, our Claims Adjuster may inspect your vehicle at the repair shop of your choice. The adjuster will provide the shop a detailed estimate of repairs. If the repair shop has any questions regarding the estimate, they should be directed to contact the Claims Adjuster.
At your option, we can provide the names of repair shops in your area that are already pre-approved through the MEEMIC Repair Advantage program.
3. How We Settle the Loss

Any claim payment made will be based on the prevailing labor rates in your area.
If you chose your own repair shop, the adjuster will reach an agreed price with them. The payment will be sent to the repair shop. The check will be made to both the insured and the repair shop. This way, you can endorse the check when the repairs are completed.
If you chose a MEEMIC Repair Advantage repair shop, all repair checks are sent directly to the repair shop when the vehicle is completed.
If your vehicle was determined to be a total loss, your claim payment will be based on its Actual Cash Value, with adjustments based on your vehicle's physical condition. Total loss settlements will include the name of the lienholder of the vehicle, if applicable.
Old 03-10-2005 | 10:14 PM

I feel even dumber, I just found out that it was one of my roommate's friends that hit me...dumb wiener...she should have known that it was icy and she needed more stopping distance...I am glad that this pitcher of long island ice tea has numbed the pain, at least for now. 02.gif