The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Rear Bushings

Old 03-28-2006 | 11:24 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

I went to do wheel alignment, that said I need to change 5 bushings in rear suspensions before alignment. So I decided to change all 12 bushings.

I bought all bushings through the dealer about $5 each.

Then I went to the shop to change them. I knew that suspension bolts tends to stuck. So I tried to search for OEM bolts before I go to the shop. I was big PITA, cause none of the dealers had them (I dunno how they can do any suspension work...), to find non OEM bolts I needed dimensions of the bolts.

So I went to the shop at 9 AM (to change bushings).

At 9:30 AM mechanic unscrew one bolt, it whas alignment bolt, and said that almost every other bolts were stuck. So I went to search bolts on the market (with dimensions now).

There were no bolts for cars, so I bought forged bolts with nuts (about 1 buck for bolt). But I had to find also alignment bolts. In one place they wanted $16 for just ONE bolt @#!@#$!@#!, in another place I bought it for $10.

Finaly I got back to the shop, what I see... mechanic sits in the trunk trying to unhook ABS sensor harness (to take off rear axle without unscrewing ABS sensor). Then I tried to fit alignment bolt in the cross member, BOOM it was bigger diameter, owned.gif I got on the phone and after 30 minutes of searching (lots of guys just told me they don't have bolts, some told I can order it - any bolt for $6 and wait for 10 days), I found (it was one of the last phone number), I found alignment bolt for $4!!! WOOT WOOT, so I bought 2 of them and now I have complete sets of rear bushings with new bolts.

Mecanic said car will be done only tomorrow. So I hope everything will be fine! I'm so fy<kin' tired...
Old 03-29-2006 | 05:16 AM

i feel your pain, or am going to anyway, i just changed one last night to hold me off til my kit comes...holy s*** are the bolts stuck...all i have to say is PB Blaster and one tough breaking bar...i actually broke one of my wrenches trying to get it off!!