The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Racism

Old 04-05-2006 | 10:38 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! drillsergeant.gif

I friggin hate this town!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Prescott, AZ is like worse than Florida when it comes to the old people: young people ratio. Voted best place to retire the last two years in some magazine. So property is real cheap and there happens to be two huge colleges (well, huge by Prescott standards) in town. Apartments are RIDICULOUSLY PRICED here.

A 2 bedroom 2 bath is like a $1000 a month, then if you want the pool/jacuzzi that's an extra $60/month for the key. Then if you want a garage (I wouldn't even call it one) that's another $70/month, then there's utilities which may not be a big deal where you live but I live in a desert and Air Conditioning is more important that water some days...

So f*** apartments I said, there's plenty of houses in this area for sale/rent. And I was right I found plenty!!!
HUGE houses, 2200 sq ft. with 3 bedrooms 2 1/2 baths and a THREE CAR GARAGE for a grand a month!!!!
Plenty of nice houses... and affordable.

But EVERY conversation I would have with the Property Management company selling the property would go something like this...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I'm really interested in this house and would like to discuss the details of a lease and a move-in date with you
<span style="color:#006600">Oh really, perfect...
Wait... are you a college student?</span>
yes
<span style="color:#006600">I'm sorry the house is off the market the tenants decided to stay
<looking at me the whole time....></span></div>
rolleyes.gif
it's like double-u tee eff mate?

I can't f***in lie...
So what are you studyin for. Umm ...my retirement?

Ahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! I am f***in homeless come May! 02.gif
Old 04-05-2006 | 10:47 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

dude that sucks... i know how u feel (kinda). im in the process of looking for a place around here in sarasota, fl for the next semester. Either the prices are outrageous or you need to be making $7000 a month for them to even consider you. I'M A FULL TIME STUDENT! NO TIME FOR $7000. haha

good luck with the search
Old 04-05-2006 | 11:14 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

^^^dude I used to live there, LOL. What area of town are you looking to live?

yea, g/luck with you're search too. I'm lucky cuz stuff is cheap out here. And prices are going up so now would actually be a good time to BUY a house and sell it when i leave this place. But I just cant' buy a house in 4 years or less....

I'd probably run into the other racism factor, age... (cuz age is a race)...
I'm young but not immature like most my age. If I asked to buy a house and told them my age, hahahahaha. I'd love to hear their response...

Young College Sturdents looking for an affordable place to live, pfft.

It's harder than being Japanese in 1942 and looking for a Job in Seattle, Washington lmao.gif
Old 04-05-2006 | 11:20 AM

hahah yea... well i go to Ringling School of Art and Design and live on campus now... but im actually on the waiting list for Timberlake which is on Univesity and Whitfield... right behind Turnbury Park (which just switched to condos). They are the ones asking for more than $7000 income... im lucky enough to have my dad cosigning so that shouldnt be a problem... but i have read your other threads and know thats not a luxury that is open to you.

Yea im 19 and my roommate is 22. They didnt take us too seriously when we walked in there.

I know alot of people around here that are moving into house that are "college student friendly" mostly because the previous tenants are also RSAD students.

What part of Sarasota did you live in?
Old 04-05-2006 | 11:59 AM

You have a job right? So tell them, I work at XXX doing YYY. Never DENY being a student, but never confirm it either. Just dance around the subject.

Oh, and one call to your local county attorney should solve the problem. Call the county attorney's office. Write down the name of the person who answers the phone, the person you end up talking to etc...

Then, when you call about houses for rent, record the conversation. Tell them you are a student. If they say the house isn't available, then have a friend call and claim to NOT be a student. If the house is then "available" take that tape to the county Attorney. That should be ALL you need to do. You'll get your house in NO TIME.
Old 04-05-2006 | 12:15 PM

OR..word it like this

"I'm in flight school". You'd be surprised how differently people will treat you. Flight students are viewed as amateur pilots here in Chicago and are given more respect.

Try it.

Good Luck,

Aviv
Old 04-05-2006 | 12:20 PM

yea those are definitely good ideas... i didnt mention to them the fact that i was student till the very end and when i did i worded it nicely "I'm a 3rd year Graphic Design student at the Ringling School of Art and Design"

the job thing didnt work for me because i work on campus... haha
Old 04-05-2006 | 12:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001/hyundai/tiburon

hey Patreezy, where in Sarasota did you live? I have lived there most my life but now live in St. Pete. One thing for sure Patreezy is that it might be more expensive where you are now but it has to be better then the shit hole that Sarasota is. Most boring town ever, glad I am gone.

Miamitib I will be down there in 2 weeks we should meet up.
Old 04-05-2006 | 12:57 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i was just going to say. tell them you just want a nice place to relax after being up in the air 5000 feet and flying a damn airplane for an entire day. that should be all the resposibility they need to hear.
Old 04-05-2006 | 12:59 PM

that happened to me a lot when we were lookin for a place to live. problem with ours was, it was 3 college guys looking for a decent place to live. everyone i talked to gave me the same treatment you got... then i found this old crappy house owned by some pot smokers who loved to party... needless to say, we got a good deal on the rent