The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Motherf***in Mi Economy

Old 10-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, as some of you know, i just recently got off being unemplyeed again, and started work last wednesday. The company was 10 fold better than any other place i had worked before... health insurance after 30 days (only would have to pay 46$ a month) PPO, 18 days vacation after one year, 401k, profit sharing. I had a nice top of the line workstation with a dual monitor setup, dual core intel processor. the building was 25k sq.ft., and im used to working in <3k sq.ft environments.

work was steady since i got there, and i was doing very well, adapting to the new environment, and way of doing the CAD work..

so i get called to the front by the VP. and hes like nate, i have some bad news, nothing personal, but a couple jobs fell thru, and we have to let you go.. AFTER ONE f***ING WEEK.. its a huge company (3 offices, statewide) dont ya think they would have a better hold on whats going on, so they dont go thru the hiring process, setting up new station, etc. if they are just gonna can em in a week.. i only got to finish one god damn job..

so now im f***ed.. tib is broken still, grand am barely starts.. CC payments and shit.. and we have a baby on the way, which is badass, but imma have to work like 90 hr weeks at mcdonalds... f*** f*** f***
Old 10-12-2006, 12:42 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

That really sucks man. I hope you can find a good paying job again soon!
Old 10-12-2006, 12:43 PM

Im sorry to hear about your luck bro! Things will pick up back up. Keep your head up, youre a family man now youll find ways... fing02.gif
Old 10-12-2006, 12:59 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Welcome to Michigan. We have the worst economy in the USA. I really hope Devos gets picked for Governer. Granholm is a liar and I hope she gets out of office.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Banned

this is the 3rd f***ing time i have been laid off since april.. god damnit... UGGGGHHHH hopefully one of my options work.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:01 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Hey bro.. first of all, God's last name is not dam*mit. If I were you bro, move out of Michigan. Michigan is a hell hole right now. The only thing that makes peopel have an orgasm right now is the Detroit Tigers Baseball team.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:05 PM

I here cincinnati OHIO is nice?! lol That way, I could bug you for help whenever I want once im boosted! and in return, i know some great baby sitters (she watches my bro and sis) fing02.gif
Old 10-12-2006, 01:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Just keep sending out that resume. There are always contruction companies looking for CAD operators. Don't just apply to one field. Look into Arch, Electrical, mechanical, civil, fire protection, Hvac, landscaping, remodeling.

Even if some of these companies are not hiring or using CAD operators, go to them anyways and ask to talk to the CEO. Offer up your skills and provide them examples of your work. Use construction details, rederings, and plans. Sell yourself to them so that they will "create your new position in the company".
A lot of companies are in the transition phase of going from hand drawings/sketches to CAD dwgs. A lot of these companies are losing bids because they can not produce electronic drawings to the main contractors.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:17 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

yea ohio isnt bad for jobs right now, i just turned down a job or two. im at the nursing home now and we are voting to raise state min wage. not bad time to be an ohioan
Old 10-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Banned

^^ thanx for all that info jon, i will look into any job like that tomm. and get some stuff together..

optimo, do you know how the construction industry is doin down there? or civil engineering? thats where i would like to be.,.