The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Merry *****mas?

Old 12-18-2006 | 09:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I actually really dont care if people say Merry xmas or happy holidays. If someone argues with someone for saying either they are just arguement prone and really IMO need to spend more time trying to be happy. I just respond how they said hapy whatever to me, or I just say have a nice day or whatever nice way of saying good-bye. Most of my friends are different religions than one another, but none care if someone says Merry Xmas, Happy Holidays, etc.
Old 12-18-2006 | 10:51 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Merry Xmas is the same as Christmas. The X represent Christ in some language(I forgot which one).
Old 12-18-2006 | 11:55 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tibby01 @ Dec 18 2006, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>either say merry Christmas or don't celebrate the damned holiday that is known as christmas.

you dont want to say it? fine, im gonna bust into your house, grinch away all your presents and decorations, and then take a nice big happy holiday dumb in the middle of your family room.

i have some jewish friends, i will be wishing them a happy hanukkah.</div>

I think if something like this ever happened in front of me....I would die of laughter. THis has been the funniest comment I have yet to read on these boards, and I have been around for over two years now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sndprssr @ Dec 18 2006, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Actually as I stated above "Christmas" was a holiday called Yule long before the the Christian's adopted it as Christ's birthday. Ask any preist and they'll tell you that Christmas was just a general area in time in which they think Jesus was born as there is no historical proof of his B-Day even in the Bible. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Christians but lets at least get our history correct...</div>

Not to sound like a D**K, but ACTUALLY, anyone who has done any deep studying of the BIBLE (you know, the book that few read and study, yet many claim to know what its all about) would know that Christmas was not the time of Jesus's birth, but the time of his conception... I know this was a bit off topic, but I feel that if you are going to make a comment trying to correct somebody and possibly take a stab at them, you should at the least, have your OWN knowledge of history correct.

Honestly "sndprssr", I am not trying to make you look like an idiot or anything. Its just that I have learned this through Bible studies, and I know for sure what I just said is correct, and thought it would be beneficial to correct you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (korean_redneck @ Dec 18 2006, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>CHRISTMAS IS A RELIGIOUS HOLIDAY!!!!1

I Love JESUS!!!!

</div>
Very bold my friend.

Back on topic here. Our country was founded on Christian beliefs, by people that were seeking religious freedom. So why is it that many people are finding reasons to put Christians down? As a Christian, I would love for the whole world to believe in Christ; however, i know that God is the only one that has the authority to judge another man. So in no way will I ever judge somebody for any reason -- including the their faith.

So I agree that a Christian should be allowed to celebrate Christmas openly. Even as far as, if my mayor is a Christian and wants to put a Christmas tree up in our town, he should have every right to do so. By no way is he forcing any type of Christian views on anybody. Just as if I were to wish some stranger, in passing, a Merry Christmas.
Old 12-19-2006 | 01:31 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT

Rix shark you need we need to make a santa hat wearing club. sadly due ot military laws i can only wear it inside but im trying to get them to let me put it on my kpod, oh and when the wcw or whatever wrestling is no adays when they came through they did a "christmas special", included the bad word "santa" and took alot of pics of soldiers here in santa hats watching the show so when that airs on tv i hope no one gets offended lol
Old 12-19-2006 | 01:44 AM

Double_A,
I have no doubt you are correct as I have not researched as much as some and appreciate your input, but you missed the entire point of my post. It was not to debate the birth or conception of Jesus but to point out that with or without Jesus it would still be "the holiday season".
Old 12-19-2006 | 01:56 AM

Come on now. . .

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Double_A @ Dec 19 2006, 01:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Christmas was not the time of Jesus's birth, but the time of his conception</div>

That is absolutely incorrect. I challenge you to provide a single shred of evidence in support of such a ridiculous contention. In your own words, if you are going to make a comment trying to correct somebody and possibly take a stab at them, you should at the least, have your OWN knowledge of history correct.

The early church believed Jesus was both conceived and crucified on March 25, thus the date of December 25 nine months later as his birth. Which was not regularly celebrated until centuries later, and evolved from existing pagan celebrations timed around the winter soltice. Why? Because the monks responsible for spreading Christianity through Europe didn't stop the existing celebrations, they just Christianized what was being celebrated. Many of the pre-Christian elements that were incorporated continue today. Same goes for early literature. Traditional sagas were rewritten by monks to have Christian themes. You can see a strong pagan influence in the architecture of many middle age churches as well. Banning a people's beliefs and traditions, and forcing them to follow your own is not effective. Incorporating the two, however, is.

I'm not trying to be a d**k either. Merry Xmas. fing02.gif
Old 12-19-2006 | 06:06 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT

fing02.gif Oooo This is a great topic! I definately agree, it is Merry Christmas. I think everyone else summed up the topic, so I dont have anything elaborate to put about it. So...

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-19-2006 | 08:39 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (korean_redneck @ Dec 18 2006, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Merry Xmas is the same as Christmas. The X represent Christ in some language(I forgot which one).</div>
Yes, the X is the first letter for the Koine Greek word Xristos, (Christ) which happens to be the language that the Bible (New Testament) was written in.
I think the X was probably used to try and take Christ out of Christmas, but I guess they didn't do a very good job.
As far as Dec 25 not being the day Jesus was born on, that is correct. It is not known exactly which day Jesus was born on, but we can celebrate his birth on December 25.
Old 12-19-2006 | 10:23 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blaze @ Dec 19 2006, 03:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Rix shark you need we need to make a santa hat wearing club.....</div>

Just updated my signature. Its the best I can do for an online presence....
Old 12-19-2006 | 10:31 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

its a little big. theres a sticky about it. max pixels (height) i believe is 150