The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Merry *****mas?

Old 12-18-2006 | 12:07 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

either say merry christmas or dont celebrate the damned holiday that is known as christmas.

you dont want to say it? fine, im gonna bust into your house, grinch away all your presents and decorations, and then take a nice big happy holiday dumb in the middle of your family room.

i have some jewish friends, i will be wishing them a happy hanukkah.
Old 12-18-2006 | 12:15 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

^^+1
Old 12-18-2006 | 12:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I agree that store clerks should not be made to say merry christmas if they dont believe in it. but people shouldnt be afraid to say merry christmas in public. whether you are a religious person or not, its still christmas. I myself am fairly religious and when people tell me happy holidays i always respond with merry christmas. some people dont like that but im allowed to say whatever i want. Ive always celebrated christmas and ive hated how over the past few years the workd christmas has become so offensive and people dont think theyre allowed to talk about it anymore. if someone were to come up to me and say happy hanukkah i would be fine with that because i repect other peoples religions as i expect them to respect mine
Old 12-18-2006 | 12:40 PM

The holiday was known as Yule a thousand years before it was called Christmas. I am a Pagan and I still say Merry Christmas and you know why...? Because most people know it as Christmas and I was brought up calling it Christmas. I don't understand why anyone would be offended by it because it is just a word that means different things to different people...
Old 12-18-2006 | 12:47 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

f*ck 'em... i work at a restaurant and i said "have a happy christmas" and the people got so offended. whatever...

even if i didn't celebrate christmas, i would try to just because it's more about celebrating life and our presence together more than anything.
Old 12-18-2006 | 01:18 PM

In the states at least (and maybe Canada too) Christmas isnt really even about the Christian faith to most people, its about spending time with family, and giving and recieving gifts. You have every right to wish people a "Merry Christmas" if it offends them becuase they are not of the Christian faith, they need to grow some tougher skin, its not like its demeaning to them.

On a side note (but kind of the same topic) I am also annoyed with the "Press 1 for English" that all major phone companies have now, especially those in the US. If you live in the US, business has always been conducted in English, learn to speak it, or dont conduct business. That being said, you can speak whatever you'd like in your homes, but if I have to deal with you at work, don't expect help unless you can explain to me what it is you need in English.

/rant

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to all
Old 12-18-2006 | 01:29 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GreatWhiteTibby @ Dec 18 2006, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>You have every right to wish people a "Merry Christmas" if it offends them because they are not of the Christian faith, they need to grow some tougher skin, its not like its demeaning to them.</div>

Thank you...who is it hurting? Does it physically hurt you when someone says Merry Christmas? I don't go punch people for saying Happy Hanukkah or go cry about it, I say thank you same to you and go off and live my life. I thought this was supposed to be a time of acceptance and happiness not complaining and hating. Let me reiterate, I am not a Christian by a long shot, but I'm not getting offended and have many friends that are the same way
Old 12-18-2006 | 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tibby01 @ Dec 18 2006, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>either say merry christmas or dont celebrate the damned holiday that is known as christmas.

you dont want to say it? fine, im gonna bust into your house, grinch away all your presents and decorations, and then take a nice big happy holiday dumb in the middle of your family room.

i have some jewish friends, i will be wishing them a happy hanukkah.</div>

wow... Thats about 180 degrees in the wrong direction. See the info posted by sndprssr. You want to force someone to recognize your belief by saying Christmas instead of Holiday then turn around and say they can't celebrate something like it because they don't call it by the same name? I'm sure/would hope thats mostly a joke, but that attitude is what pisses most non-Christians off and gets the tree's taken down. If both sides see it as an attack this is never going to end. People need to get over them selfs, do there own thing, and stop worrying so much about what other people are doing. If someone says Happy Holidays maybe, just maybe they don't believe in Jesus or they dont give a damn either way and are being made to say it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ericy321 @ Dec 18 2006, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'></div>
+1
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sndprssr @ Dec 18 2006, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'></div>
+1
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GreatWhiteTibby @ Dec 18 2006, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'></div>
+1

(cut out the actual quotes to save space..keeping them made the post huge, lol)
Old 12-18-2006 | 03:07 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

they're mad because christmas has "christ" in it.

i remember back in the 80's and early 90's our city used to put up a bunch of banners and lights in every shopping center. it wasn't until the later 90's and now they don't put up anything at all anymore. it's not even because of the War, it's because people find candy canes on top of streetlamps offensive.

that's what i loved about miami, they have christmas lights 365 and even a santa claus wearing shorts combing the beach handing out candy canes.
Old 12-18-2006 | 03:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

In America, we have freedom of speech, you can say anything you want. Except Merry Christmas!
In America, we have freedom of choice, you can put up things you want. Except Christmas trees and the Ten Commandments!
In America, we have laws (1st amendment) to keep the state from meddling in religious business, yet they make so many laws preventing Christians from expressing their religion.
In America, we are all given equal rights. Yet some people think that to be equal you MUST put up a Menorah and every other religion's symbol along with a Christmas tree for it to be proper.
I don't get it...

If you don't like Christmas, I won't gripe if you say Happy Holidays or even Happy Hanukkah , but I am certainly allowed to say Merry Christmas to whomever I want. Are you offended that I would dare mention Christ? Get over it. If it wasn't for Christmas, you wouldn't even be saying Happy Holidays!!

As tibby01 said, if you don't like it, that's fine, but you're NOT allowed to prevent me from celebrating it, so find something else to complain about. You can never eliminate Christ or Christmas, and you're certainly not going to do so by making me say Happy Holidays.

I hope this doesn't turn into a 'get out of my country' debate either...