The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Locked Out! Alarm Not Responding

Old 03-04-2006 | 10:35 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok so i drove to work today like any day, turned the key off. turbo timer kept the car running like it should. I set the alarm and went to work, this was at 2pm. Came out at 1115pm and walked to my car as always. Pushed disarm on the key and nothing happened. I thought i wasnt close enough / didnt push hard enough. Tried again. Nothing. Held the button down to do a silent disarm..nothing. Scraped the ice off the window, aimed it inside towards the LED, nothing. The battery for the keychain shouldnt be dead, i replaced it a couple months ago, the light flashes fine, its showed no signs of dying, and its had great range lately. The LED on the battery blinks as it should to indicate "armed."

MOST people would say, oh your remote is just fuxored. But the alarm is showing some signs of abnormal activity. The LED is blinking wierd, itll blink as it should for 5-6 seconds and then stop for 2 seconds, then blink again for 3-4 seconds and stop for 2 seconds. Also the bump sensitive alarm does not work, usually if you give the door panel a light thump with your hand, itll go whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop to warn whoever hit it to back off. and now it doesnt do that, i could take a bat to the car and it wouldnt do anything. AND one more funky thing going on is there is a ticking sound coming from under the hood above the battery where my alarm speaker is.

What makes this situation EVEN better is that my key is broke. Half in the ignition and half on the keychain. Its been like this for a WHILE but it wasnt a problem because i used the keyless entry to get in the car and used the key to start the car. So now i have a key that only works the ignition, no spare key, no keyless entry, and no way to get into the car.

IF i had a key i would use that to get in, pop the hood and reset the ECU hopefully correcting whatever alarm problem was wrong. Or at least i would be able to use my car without the alarm/keyless entry.

The only thing i can think to do is to order a key from hyundai. Ive heard that you can order a key based on your vin, is this correct and if so can i do it at a dealership? Also would this need to be mailed to me or would they be able to make it for me right there on the spot? It would be a big differance, if they had to mail it to me id be out of a car till like friday at the earliest, if they could make it there, id only be out of a car until Monday, as im assuming dealerships arent open on sunday to make me a key.

If you have anything to input id really really appreciate it...

ALSOif theres any other way to get into our car/hood without a key/breaking a window/coat hangering the shat out of my paint lemme know.
Old 03-04-2006 | 10:40 PM

This is Easy, you left the headlights on,... killed the battery. Your alarm doesn't respond.

A key can be cut by a key cutter machine (not a tracing one like at a key shop, but it's a machine that uses a code from your VIN) from the dealership with proof of ownership or if you get your car serviced at the dealer, and they know you it's all good.

But yeah, battery is dead OR alarm is messed.
Key can get cut ON THE SPOT at the dealer
Old 03-04-2006 | 10:46 PM

Awesome, i didnt even think about that, i guess since i saw the LED flashing it must be fine, but i didnt think about how little juice LED's need. Since i have to work tomarrow anyway, ill walk by my car and see if the headlight's switch is on.

Are Dealerships the only one's who can cut based on VIN's? Because im 98.4% sure that the service area at the dealership wont be open on a sunday, sure there is a salesman there that can sell me a new car, but nobody there to fix the one ive already bought.
Old 03-04-2006 | 10:51 PM

As far as I know, dealerships are the only places that can decipe a key code from a VIN.
However, SOME keyshops can do it if you have the key code.
Our Rds start with T0 (zero) and three numbers
So for example: T0123

And, how do I know about the battery? I did the same thing. I drive to work in the mornings and it's dark (very little sun) so I use the headlights, by the time I get there it's someone brighter, and I forget to turn it off. If no one else notices it, I get back to my car at the end of the day, and try to remote start / unarm it and it doesn't respond,... walk to the car and smack myself in the head,... open the door manually with a key, turn OFF headlights, and go back into the shop to get the booster!
Old 03-04-2006 | 10:57 PM

Yah but for me its a lil more of a slap on the head, because i have no other way to get in the car, Oh sure i have a battery jumper on hand, but no way to get to it or my trunk.

Its gotta be happening because of what i said to this guy the other day, he was like "Is your key broke?" and i was like "Yah, but its all good, i never need to use the key to get in the car, just to start it." D'oh!
Old 03-04-2006 | 11:02 PM

You monkey! lmao.gif
Old 03-04-2006 | 11:18 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

if it dosnt work the frameless windows are able to torque about 6 inches out from the car, it feels like you're going to break them but you wont. You should be able to get a coat hanger to the floorboard and pop your trunk. Did it before, will do it again.
Old 03-04-2006 | 11:35 PM

ive done this before as well, and the ticking u hear is the alarm speaker. mine beeps when i disarm it, but it didnt have enough juice to do it and just started that annoying little ticking sound...
Old 03-05-2006 | 12:08 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

i agree with kayjai u left your lites on

i didnt know u could get your key remade from dealer are you sure about this?
Old 03-05-2006 | 12:10 AM

yea give them your vin and prove you own the car and boom theres your key. Ive also had to do that... heh heh