The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Kaboooomm!

Old 11-19-2007 | 01:01 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Tim is using the strongest Clutchnet with his 403whp and I forget his tq numbers.

Jon, have you tried the ACT 4/6 puck with their pressure plate? Its rated for 303 tq
Old 11-19-2007 | 01:16 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Tim does not daily his car. It has only seen the track, and it has only been through maybe 10 passes and a couple dyno runs.

I didn't speak for Viper or Java. I don't know their driving habits. Maybe they baby their car, but I don't, and like I said, I didn't mod my car to baby it around. If I'm gonna mod it, then I'm gonna make it do what it was built for. There's no sense in building a 500whp car and not use the power.

How about the TOB rattle that occasionally happens? I get told "That's normal," all day long, yet I rarely hear that on another car with an upgraded clutch. Sorry, but it sounds like the car is gonna fall apart idling in a parking lot.

I've had 3 different motors in here along with 2 trannies. So it's not the motor either.

Other members with broken clutches:
IQFOREVA
ADROCK
Gary

The list goes on and on. It doesn't matter what power people are putting down. The fact is the same problem happens with stock, 200hp, and 300hp cars. And with every brand clutch there is.

I'm just tired of throwing away $300-400 on a clutch kit, only to bust it in a few months, then get told it's MY problem and I "installed it wrong" with no refund of any kind. That's a punch in the face insult, followed by me basically setting $300 on fire, and I'm tired of it.

Tanc,
the Clutchnet holds the power just fine. I haven't had it even remotely come close to slipping. But the problem is that it grenades in the tranny just like every other kit.
And no, I haven't tried the ACT. Do you think after all this I'm gonna throw out another $300 to be the guinnea pig for yet again another clutch? Like I said, I'm tired and broke from all this trial and error crap I've done.
Old 11-19-2007 | 01:30 PM

Why not do the pull conversion? then you can run a clutch from a eclipse or something that will be far more reliable. also do you have a LSD? what other things about are transmission makes clutchs explode?
Old 11-19-2007 | 04:40 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Elantra

shit man. that sucks. Makes me very nervous too...
Old 11-19-2007 | 05:01 PM

My clutchnet stage 3 broke a spine from the pressure plate on my stock motor... Yeah, I don't like Clutchnet anymore either.

I haven't heard bad things about Clutchmasters. I just know Jaws021 blew out his Throw out bearing on it, but the clutch itself he didn't have a problem.
Old 11-19-2007 | 05:45 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I can't speak for Java but i know Bryan drove it like he stole it. He never had any problems with his clutch but he did complain that it sucked to drive in a parking lot (understandable for a clutchnet red unsprung)

What sound is the TOB making? Mine's quiet except for the random chatter when i start out slowly.

The pull clutch conversion may be your only fool proof path but that in-itself is somewhat uncharted territory.
Old 11-19-2007 | 06:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I was trying to get some info from Demon Fox but he stopped answering. I want to do the conversion also.
Old 11-19-2007 | 07:49 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

David figured it out didn't he (haven't talked to him..) and he swears by ACTs...
Old 11-19-2007 | 10:39 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

John,
so far i can name at least two owners that don't baby their cars,drive them daily quite hard and don't have that problem...

i'm gonna ask you a few things...

Wich release bearing are you using?
did you chekc the clutch fork if it wasn't bent?
did you check the bore of the slave cylinder for rust?
did you remove the little restrictor?
do you have some play in the clutch pedal? (about 5/16 to 1/2)
wich flywheel are you using (brand,year made for)
on wich engine block (or especially crank)
is the bearing retainer clean and show no signs of rust?
what exactly happens with your clutches?
Old 11-19-2007 | 11:18 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

the only reason i have stopped answering is i havent had time to get all the measurements and everything else, also i havent had much time. but yes i had managed to get some pics to jon but i have been super busy at az since we fired a couple people. so trust me a diy is coming.