The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Immature?

Old 03-28-2008 | 12:43 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I fell in love with the 1996 Tiburon the moment I first laid eyes on it. It was white, muscular, sleek, and exotic. That was 11 years ago... I was in sixth grade. Thanks to its near perfection, and my passion for the rally car, I'm 23 and my flame is still burning strong for this car over anything else despite the vast improvement of cars today. I still think it to be great for the money. My car makes me happy every time I'm driving it and right now it's all that matters.

The problem is when school is out at 3PM, all these little creepy ghetto kids walk by just staring at my car as if they want to steal it, or they think it's "Fast & Furious off the hizzle 'yo". It makes me feel very immature.

It won't happen, but for sure it makes me want to get the tamed Genesis Coupe just to get less attention. Anybody else got this weird vibe just to call quits and move on because you've grown up?
Old 03-28-2008 | 01:00 PM

You know why I like my car, because it different and to find another rd tib in my area iis rare (except at my college theres like 4). Mabe its somethin you experience when you get older but right now my car is a piece of what I am and if people dont like it well SCREW THEM. The question in the end you have to ask yourself is do you want something most people dont have or do you want another honda or mustang (no offence to hondas or mustangs) like everyone else.
Old 03-28-2008 | 01:02 PM

Yes, very much so. I found the solution was to buy more parts and keep modding it, even though I vowed that I wouldn't.

For me, it feels almost unprofessional. My boss has seen my car, but hasn't made any comments about it. Usually I don't care what people think; it's my car, I do to it what I want. But now that I'm becoming more career focused (yes, at 23 I'm a little behind), I am becoming more aware of the fact that the car may make me look like an immature kid.

I think the best way to transition, for me at least, is to not give up on my vision that has taken more than 5 years to come to fruition (and is still not completely realized). I do plan on getting a "normal" car for work and everyday life. The Tiburon will become my weekend/fun car, which is what it really should have been all along.
Old 03-28-2008 | 01:29 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

i know exactly how u guys feel. Which is why i'll be glad to get the gen coupe which will still have the passion of my tib with more respect from conservative folk while still being able to light the tires.

This is one of the reasons why i didnt go overly ricey (and the fact i think its pretentious) on my tib, so it still looks somewhat respectable in an exotic way.

I live in a condo community and i get some scours when i roll through just because a 2.5 inch exhaust + stage 3 clutch + big speed bumps means some unfortunately loud revving (not too bad but enough to get looks)
Old 03-28-2008 | 01:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tibbychick @ Mar 28 2008, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>For me, it feels almost unprofessional. My boss has seen my car, but hasn't made any comments about it. Usually I don't care what people think; it's my car, I do to it what I want. But now that I'm becoming more career focused (yes, at 23 I'm a little behind), I am becoming more aware of the fact that the car may make me look like an immature kid.</div>

I never really took in to consideration what a employer though of my car. Its no means done up as good as yours but you do hear it coming and going. I think its a personal thing, you shouldn't let someone make you feel like a 16 year old immature kid because of how your car looks. You put alot of time and effort and cash into it.

Do you look at Executives that drive Beamers and Lexus and Cadillac as portentous snobs? Maybe its just me.

Old 03-28-2008 | 01:56 PM

Pretentious, yes. For me the thing is I plan on running my own business, and there may come a time when I will need to drive clients in my car. I would not want to take them in the Tib. I feel bad enough when I have to drive my mother in it.
Old 03-28-2008 | 02:39 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I feel the same way sometimes, but most of the time I don't care because its my car not anyone else's and if I like it then thats good enough for me.

Those stupid kids that check out your car don't even know the difference between F&F and real cars. It is sad that people learn about cars from movies and tv and have a narrow outlook when it comes to them.

As far as what employers think I don't care. When I come to work in a nice car and others come in rusted out junk or get a ride cause they don't even have a car no one has the right to judge what I drive.

If your employer has a problem with your car maybe they should give you a raise so you can buy that BMW he thinks you should be driving. lmao.gif

I feel the most immature when I talk to people and they ask about my car and I tell them what I have done or plan to do. You can tell they are thinking like "whats a hyundai?, headers?, carbon fiber hood? this guy is stupid!!". I don't even bother telling people anything anymore.

It doesn't help when most people I know don't even know anything about cars other than how to drive it to the store. The other people that do know about cars are mostly interested in a big V8 or classic cars. So tuner 4 cylinders are either silly to them or they know nothing about it.

I could go on and on about no support for the tib, you are definitly not alone in feeling immature lol.
Old 03-28-2008 | 02:55 PM

The tib isn't an immature car but it does help keep youth. I work in a construction office where dress code is slacks and button downs with dress shoes. We all make the big bucks here and I am the young one. Everyone in my office is over 30 and most over 40 but just about every guy in this office has a two door sports car of some sort. It seems the older they are the nicer and sportier the car gets. In our garage we have two brand new corvettes, a newer Porshe, a pontiac GTO, ahh crap I could keep going I mean brand new CTX's to the great old school Grand National Twin Turbo. None of these men are immature and they don't see me as immature driving my Tib around even without paint. Hell, I had the President of our FL division riding in my car and he was happy with the ride, tho I must admit getting into a tib as you get older isn't so easy. I plan on keeping my tib, maybe forever if I can make it last.
As far as driving clients around like in TC's case I do agree there. There probably are not many clients of a successful company would be eager to cram into a Tib's passenger seat. I think for client's in car operations the SUV is best for the comfort of your client. Again I don't think a client would look at a Tib as immature, just impractical maybe.
Old 03-28-2008 | 03:09 PM

I have never gotten any negative vibes at all about my car. But it pretty much looks stock to average people that don't know anything, other than it's really lo w.Â

The only thing that would make me wanna change cars is cops. If i'm in a pack of cars all going about the same speed over the limit, I will get singled out every time pretty much.
Old 03-28-2008 | 03:13 PM

I think i missed the part of you explaining you need to drive clients. I totally understand getting a work car then. I though you were just meaning that you and your boss got to work at the same time and parked next to each other.

I use my car a stress relief, meditation zone and a sense of pride.