The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

I'm Actually Scared Of Michigan Winter....

Old 01-07-2007 | 08:59 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

i hope the poles shift because i'm sick of snow and i hate how f***ed my paint gets every year in all the salt and shitty roads. bring on the warmth
Old 01-07-2007 | 11:17 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Oh well at least before I die I can get my tib done, then Ill be happy.
Old 01-07-2007 | 12:03 PM

From: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alex01tib @ Jan 7 2007, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Dont believe that global warming crap.</div>

Agreed. I did a research report on global warming (sort of) for college. The weather is getting warmer, but at a VERY VERY slow rate compared to how global warming accured previously during the earth's life. Like I said, it is getting warmer, but it has been proven that this is not do to human activity.
Old 01-07-2007 | 12:07 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Actually, has anyone ever seen the movie "The inconvenient truth"? It was made by Al Gore. That guy is my hero.
Old 01-07-2007 | 12:08 PM

Gore is an idiot.
Old 01-07-2007 | 12:26 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

^ haha. i believe in emissions causing the Ozone to break apart though. i started to believe that when i was in Rome and saw a huge huge huge smog cloud over the city.

peter, i read that article too, but for all we know that could be BS too. who's to confirm that the proof behind that is right. like nasa mentions it's like a clock. it happens to the sun quite frequently. it has to do with magnetic fields and sunsports. even if that whole 2012 date is just as false as Y2K, it's interesting to know how very lucky we are to be here and sometimes take it forgranted.

optimo, i think when the poles shift more than your paint might be in trouble haha.
Old 01-07-2007 | 12:58 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

well, global warming is real. by-products of fossil fuels DO destroy ozone(go into a chemistry lab and see for yourself), and it is causing a small increase in temperature that is more than it should be. as humans we have affected the earth in that nature.

not to say i believe its even thats dangerous, or that i'm a tree-hugging hippie. the engineer inside me just wants to see us develop more efficient ways of getting energy. we've been using fossil fuels for like 150 years now and thats just lame.

there are plans for a fusion reactor that all our experimental research has told us will work. we have already been able to create practical fusion, but only for fractions of a second. i really do think the US has to put more thought into this stuff. it seems like we are dragging our feet when it comes to this project, and that makes me upset.

http://www.iter.org/

just think about how cool that would be. it would represent the largest engineering advancement since the days of the moon landing and even as far back as tesla.
Old 01-07-2007 | 01:09 PM

This is sorta a confusing number, but when I did my research paper I found official documentation that CO2 from cars exhausts make up only (every value here is approximated) 1% of 99% of all human made co2 in the air. Of all the co2 in the air only .01% is from human activity. The rest is from volcanos, sea movement etc, and other less significant natural causes.

Alot of you probably will think that this is bs, but media tends to flood people's minds with wrong information.
Old 01-07-2007 | 04:40 PM

that may be true.. but earth is (or was) a balanced ecology. Any CO2 put into the atmosphere naturally was converted into O2 during the day by plants as a byproduct of photosynthesis. (plants take in oxygen at night)

With the rate that we are paving the earth and that 0.01% of the Co2 we put out (if we put out that little, I doubt it) it could be enough to tip the balance towards an overabundance of CO2 in our atmosphere which will lead to greenhouse warming.

The earth's warmth goes in cycles, we know that. During the 17 and 1800's there was the "little ice age" where temperatures were quite a bit colder than they are today. Who is to say we were not already in the middle of a warming trend when we started to dump so much CO2 into the atmosphere?

I look at it this way. Every gallon of gas I save, every kilowatt of electricity I do not use, every geotherm of energy I do not use to heat my place not only helps to protect the enviroment, it is also money in my pocket. That just makes very good Cents
Old 01-07-2007 | 04:40 PM

While CO2 does play a role, the major polluting factor from cars are the hydrocarbons. They come from unburned or partially burned fuel and tend to be a major part of smog. Excessive hydrocarbon emissions can come from anything from poor spark to excessive valve overlap...