The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

If Its Not One Thing Its Another, This Is Nuts

Old 03-06-2006 | 04:47 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I had JUST JUST JUST got back from getting my car unlocked and then driving to a dealership to get a key made, on the drive home the car felt fine. I raced a focus, he was all sponsored up and everything, he started out a car length ahead of me (trying to get a head start) and when we got to the speed limit we were neck and neck, so u do the math. Anyway after that i was driving home ~20 miles, when i noticed that my boost wasnt building up quite as fast as it usually does, usually it just goes Gas-012345 pounds, in less than a second. and this time it went Gas-0.1.2..3.4.5. right around one second to get up to 5, i thought maybe my TB coupler had come loose again, i went and tightened it, and it still drove the same, except i noticed thats when i boosted it sounded like air was rushing out the right side of the engine, i thought maybe it was the manifold vacuum line came off or something, who knows. I just said ill take a look at it when i get to my apartment. well i was about 200 feet from my apartment, and it sounded like something fell. Then the car was really loud, like when i didnt have an exhaust. I was like what now. I took a deep breath and opened my hood, heres what i saw..

I know what happened, the flange that bolts the wastegate to the downpipe wasnt bolted up. The weight of the wastegate being supported by just weld didnt hold up after the manifold got really hot. When i installed it. The weld was a little off so i had to try and figure out a way to put bolts through it when i could barely see through the bolt holes because they werent perfectly aligned. My friend at the time said dont worry about it the only side affect would be the exhaust might not all be directed down the downpipe when you are at maximum boost, i was like whatever, ill deal with it in the spring. Apparently spring should have came two weeks earlier than it will. So i guess i have to take my manifold off and weld this sucker back on there, and this time ill make sure its on there the right way so i can bolt the wastegate to the downpipe. UGH this year isnt shaping up to be any better than last year. I thought i was almost done sorting stuff out too. worried.gif Any imput is appreciated.
Old 03-06-2006 | 04:55 PM

Nice man...Sorry about your luck that sucks. If it makes you feel any better my wheel bearing welded itself to my hub today.
Old 03-06-2006 | 05:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

eek2.gif HOLY CRAP!!! man, I hope your luck turns for the better real soon
Old 03-06-2006 | 05:09 PM

That sucks, but thats called "Hyundai Power", Hyundai Power is when you can rip welds and shear bolts apart, then have your wastegate blow off just by your exhaust.
Old 03-06-2006 | 06:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

At least you didn't blow the welds on your intake manifold.

owned.gif lmao.gif drillsergeant.gif

Anyways, where did you get that contraption from?
Old 03-06-2006 | 07:07 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

hahahhahahaha i think thats tims....
Old 03-06-2006 | 07:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^Yup it actually is.

I feel bad for Alex. I hope this doesnt end up happening to me since I have Tim's kit too. I'd be pissed.
Old 03-06-2006 | 10:48 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yah its tims. it just sucks because i JUST got my car back from being out of commision. and now it itll be out till Sunday at the earliest. im going to rip of the manifold tomarrow and take it to viper on wednesday. His guy is going to weld it on there nice and tight. then if the downpipe and wastegate still dont match up right im going to drive the car back there and have him fab it up so this wont happen again.
Old 03-06-2006 | 10:54 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

it looks like the welds were very poorly done. have a real welder weld it and do atleast 2 passes. it doesnt matter if it wasn't bolted up the weld should of held. shoty workmanship bro.

good luck
Old 03-06-2006 | 11:42 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

it's not because it's tim's job is it? or did you have that customized later?

because that would totally suck... i'm sorry to hear that it's falling apart man, but at least your turbo works. and at least you have someone who can hook you up and weld something for you. here we don't have squat. you'd have to get the car towed or throw old pieces back on to drive to a custom shop.