The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Hit Twice In One Day.

Old 03-06-2006 | 08:26 PM

Damnit. LEARN TO PARK MORONS!

Just my luck. What really pissed me off is that the first time, the guy left his car bumped against mine, AND blocking me in all while illegaly parked. I had to call the parking nazis in order to get him towed. He got a ticket, but finally showed up just before the tow truck arrived. He used some choice words and promised I'd never see a cent. I have his plate #, but to be honest, I don't want to go to the trouble of sueing him. Can this be easily repaired? It looks like a clip on the bumper itself broke. It's making a lot of wind noise on the highway now.

And then later that day, I come out from my last class to see that yet another person has hit me, and his bumper is wearing my paint. I was so pissed, that's the closest I have ever come to keying a car.

I guess it could be worse, but still, it was a rough day as it was, and I missed an exit interview with a professor because I was blocked in. Not good. Speaking of getting keyed, there are two key marks in front of my spoiler, I've never noticed them before. This was the first time I've been hit since last year, when someone put scrapes on the front of my hood, and broke the rubber strip where the hood latch is. The $175 per semester fee to park in a garage suddenly looks a lot less expensive.

WTF is wrong with people? No respect for someone else's property. I see people parking every single day that use the cars in front of and behind them as bumper guides. I have two piezo sensors in my bumpers, and I know from the code history that my alarm went off both times. My only consolation is that the perps were at least somewhat embarrassed, as my alarm is effing loud. People cover their ears and run.

People suck.
Old 03-06-2006 | 08:37 PM

As somebody who loves vintage italian tin.. I have read over and over and over again about how European makers hated how american's park. Even when cars came woth flimsy chrome bumpers.. often the american versions would come with a beefier version to combate the American tendancy towards "bump to park"
Old 03-06-2006 | 08:45 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Yeah, people suck man! I was in a gas station pumping gas, and this f*cking moron lady (and by moron i mean didn't know how to drive worth SH*T) backs her fokking huge ass Pacifica into my $1300 F2 EVO Bumper. I start clapping and making sounds and waving at her to stop and people are looking at me as if I'm wierd but I didn't care that's my priceless fiberglass irreplaceable bumper!!!!

So then i told her she'd hit my car. then she says oops and drives away. i'm telling you, the East Coast sucks. I've been granted a license and i failed my eye exam because it was early in the morning and i dspent all night doing homework, but they still gave me a license. makes me remember how the terrorist pilots of 9/11 got their visa licenses 1 year after the suicides...

even if you get a new car, do anything, this crap will always happen. don't stress over it. but to tell you the truth, i'd call the guy up and make him pay for it. he knew he hit you and drove away!!!

also reminds me of how this one time this guy hit my classmate in the rear going 30mph. then drove away, stormed the scene. cops showed up later only to find the asswholes bumper stuck on my classmates car complete with license plate. it's some wrong shit though dood. but there's also the chance the guy who hit you is some criminal and could do something bad to you if you bring the problem up. you never know with people man, they could be some mental case you'd never ever want to be associated to in any way. in maryland my sister's boyfriends neighbor caught this guy battering his car with a baseball bat all because he got a licenseplate of him cutting the guy off, had a connection at the MVA and found his house. there have been people killed over things like this. sure there are good cases, but if i were you and since you live in VA i'd just let the damn thing go.
Old 03-06-2006 | 08:45 PM

I was about to congratulate you when I saw the title at first, but now I just have nothing but sympathy... My tib's all dinged up from people who can't park too.
Old 03-06-2006 | 08:51 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

damn that sucks. It looks pretty easy to fix from the photo, but I havent done body work before.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Mar 6 2006, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>As somebody who loves vintage italian tin.. I have read over and over and over again about how European makers hated how american's park. Even when cars came woth flimsy chrome bumpers.. often the american versions would come with a beefier version to combate the American tendancy towards "bump to park"</div>

lmao.gif I was in france eating and this one guy didnt have his emergancy brake on so this other car just pushed him back while parelle parking. Never seen that in america, but by the way the ppl in NY drive seems like theyd need better bumpers
Old 03-06-2006 | 08:59 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Mar 7 2006, 03:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>European makers hated how american's park. . .the American tendancy towards "bump to park"</div>

That's something I can identify with for sure. What amazes me is the skill of drivers in Germany. The streets are so narrow in many cities, and the spots so tight your passenger has to get out of the car to guide you in. But despite that, this sort of crap isn't a common occurence, the cars don't all have banged up bumpers like here in VA. They respect other people's property, maybe because it costs so much more to own a vehicle there. Many Germans even leave their passneger side view mirror angled down to aid in parallel parking. Literally 75% of cars in Berlin did that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Mar 7 2006, 03:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I start clapping and making sounds and waving at her to stop and people are looking at me as if I'm wierd but I didn't care that's my priceless fiberglass irreplaceable bumper!!!!

So then i told her she'd hit my car. then she says oops and drives away. i'm telling you, the East Coast sucks.</div>

LOL! It's sad, but I've done the exact same thing, waving and shouting like crazy to prevent just that. This is NOT an acceptable standard for parking. I'm not going to pursue this guy for the exact reasons you mentioned. He knows me and my car, we both park in the same area, and it's not worth the potential of getting my windows all smashed out. But if I had just gotten a paint job recently, or new bumper, I would most assuredly take him to court. But I'm already budgeting for a kit and paint job though, so I will let it go.

It just sucks that my tib has to bear these scars.
Old 03-06-2006 | 09:11 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

the first bump you got is VERY repairable. it's simply the bar with the tabs that retain the bumper cover's shape broke off into the bumper frame. just remove the bumper, plastic epoxy and then put some pressure on it to keep it's shape. Once it dries, put it back on and it should fit normally assuming that's the only damage.

I had to do a similar procedure to my vehical. If you remove the rear light you can access both sides of the plastic easily and may not have to remove the bumper. You can use a C clamp and a towel to retain parts after you apply epoxy.