The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Gear Oil Sucks

Old 10-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eh, i wouldn't worry about the GL-5. thats pretty much all any autoparts store carries now-a-days. the redline MT-90, redline 75w-90, mobil 1, valvoline, and off brands on shelves are all GL-5. there is only a 'could' possibility that it would actually eat away at yellow metals and i haven't had any problems since i have had my car. I had GL-5 in my car when i had my beta I transmission and i have it in my beta II transmission. the only place i have found the GL-5 is at hyundai and they wanted some stupid price for it.

I would actually be interested to see how many people on here are using the GL-4 gear oil in their cars.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:17 PM

Vehicle: car

Hyundai is a GL-4 from a Korean plant, they want $14.99 a quart, semi synthetic. I used Mobil-1 synthetic in mine from work. If they upgraded the GL rating, it should be compatible. Think about it. Look at the cars that take Dexron II trans fluid, it's been replaced by Dexron III. I don't believe it, SOCKS doesn't believe it, even the guy at Hyundai didn't believe it and he's been working parts for 17+ years. If it kills my trans then it's a blessing in disguise, gogo Beta II!
Old 10-26-2007, 10:01 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ditto, ive run nothing but synthetic GL-5's in mine since a few months after getting it, (RP & Mobil 1) i doubt it hurts more than the stress my t3/t4 puts on it lol.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Banned

well, even mobil one and penzoil, and also other MAJOR gear oil producers say that the more concentrated chemicals in GL-5 gear oil can eat away at yellow metals like brass bushings and stuff. i was reading up on it today, but i have never had any problems or heard of anyone with problems from it.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:52 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon FX

I spilled some trans fluid in my trunk, the carpet soaked it all up. Now on hot summer days I'll go in my car and get remined of that smell.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:25 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ sucks to be you. Have you tried a steam cleaning?
Old 10-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Banned

same thing happened to me.. i had about 1/4 quart in the bottle and it musta fell over and it soaked in everywhere.. imma hate it down in NM. gonna be so warm and nasty smellin lol. lmao.gif owned.gif
Old 10-27-2007, 11:49 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

well if any of you guys where ever in the NAVY and on a boat...then the worst smell is a C.H.T spill..."CHT" is $HIT and that crap is deadly...if you smell rotten eggs on the boat you better run...

gear oil not that bad
Old 10-27-2007, 12:21 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SOCKS @ Oct 26 2007, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>eh, i wouldn't worry about the GL-5. thats pretty much all any autoparts store carries now-a-days. the redline MT-90, redline 75w-90, mobil 1, valvoline, and off brands on shelves are all GL-5. there is only a 'could' possibility that it would actually eat away at yellow metals and i haven't had any problems since i have had my car. I had GL-5 in my car when i had my beta I transmission and i have it in my beta II transmission. the only place i have found the GL-5 is at hyundai and they wanted some stupid price for it.

I would actually be interested to see how many people on here are using the GL-4 gear oil in their cars.</div>
Actually the Redline MT-90 is GL-4. I think that's why a lot of people here are using it and recommend it besides the fact that it's a pretty decent product. I'm not telling anyone what to use just reminding what the manufacturer recommends.

My own personal experience is this. I replaced the gear oil with a GL-5 not realizing the difference at about 25,000 kms. By 33,000 kms the second gear synchro was totally messed up and was replaced under warranty. Since then I have been using only GL-4 gear oil, MT-90 and currently Amsoil (my favourite out of any I've tried), and have had no other problems with the transmission. The car now has 196,000 kms on it. That doesn't mean the GL-5 was the cause of the problem but I'm going to stick with what the manufacturer recommends.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:14 AM

^

amsoil 4 the win!

by far some of the best synthetic's out there. really is no compitition.