The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Cracked Driver-side Pillar

Old 03-05-2008, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday I pulled my driver-side pillar to insert my alarm antenna wiring. As I pulled on it to release the pillar from those friction tensioners, I cracked the pillar!!!! It f*****g irritates me!!!! I love my car, I do all my work with a lot of love and care, things that you'll hardly ever get from someone else working on YOUR car, and then I break something!!!! The positive side is that I was thinking of getting a 3 gauge pillar wink1.gif , but damn! What panels have you guys broken from removal/installation?
Old 03-05-2008, 04:31 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

lol, I've never broken a panel durring installation or removal. I've broken plenty of mounting hardware though. I've got to replace some of it and I've tried at the dealership, but they keep receiving the wrong part. I tell them hey, that's the wrong part, but they can't take back custom orders.

I have a cracked door panel in my car from when my buddy decided to be a jackass and yell out the window at someone. He was a retard, litterally. He put his knee right into my map pocket and broke the plastic.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:14 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fury @ Mar 5 2008, 05:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I love my car, I do all my work with a lot of love and care, things that you'll hardly ever get from someone else working on YOUR car, and then I break something!!!!</div>

In your post about your ticket, you said you live in Canada.....its COLD right now...cold plastic cracks easily. Thats why I never touch any of my interior pieces after November 1st. Unless of course its parked in a heated location.

Theres a junkyard in the GTA that has quite a few Tibs. I think they have a minimum charge of $30, so I'm sure you could get a replacement, and a few extras for that price.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:36 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Yeah, plastic breaks like crazy in the winter.. Pieces who were supposed to be flexible become rigid and break easily.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

The same thing happened to me when hardwiring my radar detector and trying to hide the wires. Cracked right at the top. I was very careful too... it's a long flimsy plastic piece, and cracked pretty good, right at the curve where the pillar meets roof. I pulled it off and on several times trying to get the triple gauge pod pillar in there (never got it to fit) and then a year later it broke so easily.

Shiz happens, but it's not noticeable for me.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:19 PM

yeah, I know what you mean. I was also being careful, but it just cracked (and that pillar is really fragile too, especially the way those friction tensioners hold them real good).

You guys are right, it must've cracked on me 'cause it was cold. I have a heater in my garage, but it's not enough to provide good heating. I'm out in my garage a good 8 hours a day, more or less, now. You guys must be thinking that I'm out of my mind to be working on my car in -15C temperatures (5 degrees Fahrenheit) laugh.gif The company I was working for went on a layoff spree just before Christmas (they laid off 450 in the US and 70 in Canada). So I've been home since Christmas. Knowing that I'll never have an opportunity like this again, I like to spend my days working on my car. I'm happy that I found a job again, but I'm also sad 'cause I start on March 17 and won't have so much time again to work on the car. Anyway, that's why I'm out removing panels and cracking them at -15C temperatures laugh.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rixshark @ Mar 5 2008, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Theres a junkyard in the GTA that has quite a few Tibs. I think they have a minimum charge of $30, so I'm sure you could get a replacement, and a few extras for that price.</div>

Rixshark, where's this junkyard at? I live in the GTA.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:25 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Mike's Auto Wreckers
54 Upper Centennial Pkwy, Stoney Creek, ON L8G 3X4
Telephone : 905-664-7650

Take the QEW Niagara, get off at Centennial Pkwy, turn Right, follow it up the mountain, past Mud Street, and its on the Left hand side.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:48 PM

Cool, I've never gone to that one before. I've been to the one in Scarborough, on the 401. I'll give that one a try. Thanks, man.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

lol i have broken almost any pannel you can think of. the colder the vehicle is the easier the pannels are to break. so i almost never work on a cold car now... its just too easy now............ but since learning my lesson where my name is on the line now that i am at the most trusted shop within 600miles. i dont break nothing... take my time and do it right...