The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

College Application

Old 04-16-2008 | 06:00 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Everything has been upside down lately. To make matters worse, I got the official notice from University of Maryland yesterday that I was not accepted due to not having the requirements, 2 consecutive full time loads, and too many withdrawls. So I went up there and argued because I didn't understand why they wouldn't accept me. My application was early as well. I did everything they required me to.

1. They wrote I didn't have my math and english requirement. Also written is I don't have a minimum 3.0, I have a 3.2 GPA. I have my English requirement clearly shown, and a second writing/editing class that requires you to take 101 before it, and the other three requirements. so WHAT THE F___?

2. I finish my Math requirement in two weeks. I was told that it wouldn't affect my acceptance, and that they would check to see my current grade to see if I passed. Now the guy tells me that I was misinformed. The organization of this University is garbage. The advisors can't even give you some good help.

3. I did withdrawl from a few courses, however my night school is made for people who work and go to school, so I was working full time and didn't go to school full time. I wrote that in my "resume" and now I have to write it again in the appeal.

The guy said, "oh just get your associates from night school or take two consecutive semesters"...uhhh, no why should I waste more of my time just to get admitted. I just want to go get my art degree. It's not Engineering. I should also get special privelage as my father is a full time professor with tenure. I'm writing a letter of appeal and my father is going over there to settle things. How the hell could they write I don't have my requirements when I do? You lose $55 for them to tell you how stupid you are.

The school is overcrowded, lots of competition, and they keep raising the standards. But for them to overlook your application like it's nothing is just over the top. Just more complicated than I knew...

Anyone have similar mishaps¿ Any advice¿ I feel like I let myself down.
Old 04-16-2008 | 06:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i dont know man, my advisor is awesome. 2 consecutive full time semesters is a good idea imo for an admittance requirement. if you are dropping classes at a community college then chances are that you will do the same at um. you can take the same classes you would at umd at a community college and transfer them all provided that it is less than 60. it will be cheaper and probably easier. go here to check which ones will trasfer...

http://artweb.usmd.edu/

get rid of your core requirements and any other classes you can at a 2 year college. that way when you get to um you can just blast through the ones you still need and finish up.

tis exactly what i did, except i had a academic probation semester in there somewhere. wink1.gif
Old 04-16-2008 | 06:53 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I had a college evaluate my military education towards an associates degree once. I have the following

All courses were 8 hours a day, 5 days a week with homework assigned as well.

2 months basic combat training
4 months basic electronics training
5 months radar Systems training
11 months biomedical systems training
SmartForce Tech support I and II certification
Hazmat certification
unit armorer certification

They charged me $75 and evaluated my training as 16 credit hours. I was pissed. I need to go back and talk to Thomas Edison, they're supposed to give me an associates degree in biomedical equipment engineering with a couple of english and math credits through a program they have.
Old 04-16-2008 | 08:31 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>2 consecutive full time semesters is a good idea imo for an admittance requirement.</div>

i think it is too but even when i've written down that i was working full time they should consider it. agree that dropping classes is too common and that will likely be the case at the day school, the thing is night classes are 3 hours long each and once per week and it's why i've dropped so many. i'd rather have short classes that are every day or twice per week during the day and knock out a full semester in the day time rather than be stuck in evening traffic... uugh. for the past 5 years you know how it is here at 6:30pm.

but as far as them completely overlooking 2 english credits and saying i don't have them, it tells you something about who's looking at the applications.

i wanted to take my core credits at the college, and be assisted and advised. but what they don't know is you hardly have that assistance at the university college. over at the dayschool you are assigned personal advisors who tell you what to take. (right?) and to be honest i've been under the impression that all it takes is 30 semester credits, requirements, and 3.0+ GPA and you're in.

i'm really sick of taking umuc courses... it just never ever ends. i wish i could have done 2-year full time and swing that through. i should have done that but my stupid ass got a job 02.gif

thanks for the advice though man. there should be more people like you around.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>They charged me $75 and evaluated my training as 16 credit hours. I was pissed. I need to go back and talk to Thomas Edison, they're supposed to give me an associates degree in biomedical equipment engineering with a couple of english and math credits through a program they have.</div>

adam you have to do that right away and argue it. why wouldn't they give it to you? that is some hardcore training. for that much training and you get out with an associates, it would have to take me a lot of convincing. well at least i know that this crap doesn't happen just here. i'm not angry because i'm not a scholar, but i'm pissed because when you put so much time, effort, gas and money, wasted so much of your young prime life into making up for living in the wrong country and some asshole puts in improper information in the computer causing your entire party to get bashed, it's like a waiter spilling red wine on your marriage proposal night.

Old 04-16-2008 | 08:43 PM

don't listen to advisers. find out for yourself, that way there are is no misinformation when you do talk to them.

look up your major and determine the requirements for it. go to the artsys site and find out what classes you already have will apply to the ones you need for your major at maryland. then plan out a semester by semester chart of what classes you need to take and follow it.
Old 04-16-2008 | 09:01 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>you can take the same classes you would at umd at a community college</div>

totally should have done that. more than half of those classes aren't offered at UMUC. but the only reason i didn't was because i have tuition remission.

i keep searching for studio art and design but all that's coming up is:

http://www.umd.edu/academic/

i know you're busy dude and it's a busy time, i just don't want to expand my issues with this place to you or anyone else. but your advice is always helpful.
Old 04-16-2008 | 09:28 PM

http://www.arhu.umd.edu/academics/pr...t-require.html

take that, along with a schedule of classes from umuc to an advisor @ college park and get them to see what courses are similar. if you can't find any consider going to a community college, they'll have the classes.

http://www.umuc.edu/prog/ugp/soc/sched_spring08.pdf

looks like atleast a couple can apply to the college park required courses for art studio.
Old 04-16-2008 | 09:44 PM

^don't know how you do it. yeah i recieved the design curriculum. i didn't get accepted to Design because of artt100, 150, 200, and 210 but i have all 418 courses. bypassed the basics with teacher recommendations at university college. apparently it wasn't a good choice. but either way i was planning to take them at the day school which i could do really good in.

in face i've spoken to prof. forbes and he's checked out my credits and gave me a credit transfer sheet! good guy. three more professors also confirmed i need the basic courses.

the problem lies in with the campus admissions itself. if they just give me the OK i will do whatever they want and better full time and in time. art 110 is offered during summer at UMUC but 200 isn't, and 150 and 210 aren't. but you're right if i take the courses over summer like montgomery college i would still be on schedule without a loss and just transfer in the spring. you're smart!