The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

A/C BS?

Old 09-29-2004 | 05:12 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Turbo
Default Re: for your viewing pleasure

Today I went looking for a place to refil the gas (donテつエt know the name of it mostly you hear freon but I remember that that was for the old cars) for my A/C I found a place and went in, I asked for a checkup and indeed I had no gas but instead of just saying ok the refill is this much the guy tells me that I have a leak since I have no presure in the A/C pipes, by the way my A/C right now no longer cools if I turn it on it actualy heats the air instead of cooling it, and it was a while when the a/c couldテつエt cool the air a whole lot then it degraded to heating the air, as I remember with my last car this meant that it had NO gas and only refilling it would make the a/c work properly again.

So my gripe is this: was I correct in pulling the Bullshit flag or do I have to worry oops.gif
Old 09-29-2004 | 06:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: Decal girl Questions

Well, think about it.

You have no Freon in your AC system anymore. It HAD to leak out somewhere. So you COULD fill it, but it'll just leak out again.
Old 09-29-2004 | 08:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Re: Unofficial RDTib Females Thread *pics*

If you have no pressure that is almost definitally a leak. The lines should stay charged for years... (and atleist have some pressure).

Also, if you run an AC compressor that has no gas (not sure if the tib has a low pressure shutoff) you have a HIGH chance of burning the seals in the compressor. That could be a bigger problem :
Old 09-29-2004 | 09:26 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon
Default Re: quick pics ... rd1

your leak is probably coming from the shrader valves. they're like $2 a piece at the dealer. get 2. mine was leaking...

and if your car is blowing out hot air while the A/C is on.... one of 2 things: yes, you could be out of freon (R-32) or your "door" which opens and shuts for hot and cold could not be closing. that happened to me when i took my dash apart. caused by me not hooking up the cable correctly...

did you take off your dash ever??

if not... just get shrader valves. they (the shop) should have told you WHERE the leak was coming from. they should have done a dye test.

good luck
Old 10-04-2004 | 03:59 PM

Default Re: Another question :)

OK, 8O now Iテつエm a little worried, still why would it be a leak? why do you have to recharge your A/C then? I would understand it having preasure, if my A/C still cooled, but it doesnテつエt anymore (and this didnテつエt happen all of a sudden) I havenテつエt recharged the freon in 3 years (since I bought the car), in case it IS oops.gif what procedures do they do to know were the leak is, cause iテつエm not leaving the car alone so they can bullshit me some more.
Now regarding the shrader valvess, were are they located so I can check them for leaks? LOL I still feel he was bullshiting me about the leak, or maybe I'm jaded, last time I went to an A/C refilling place with my grandpa to see if his Galloper needed recharging, it did have preasure, but the light in the A/C button didnテつエt light up (so it was a fuse) but instead of looking at that, the guy started grabing the A/C belt trying to turn it, and because he couldnテつエt he said that THAT was one of the problems that it wasnテつエt working. so my grandpa left it so they could make an estimate of how much the repair would cost, lol they wanted too charge about 90 plus $ for a simple fuse change, 2 days later my grandpa checked the fuse, changed it and the A/C worked again. so that is why Iテつエm still not buying into the idea that my car has a leak, but hey I donテつエt know everything and right now there are still no points to convince me otherwise. not to start a fight or anything but please explain it to me why is it that you still have to have preasure if your a/C isnテつエt cooling anymore, suposedly the gas that they recharge you with is the one you use to cool the air so if youテつエre not cooling the air then it has no more gas, by logic you have no preasure either...
Old 10-04-2004 | 04:14 PM

Default Re: Orifice tube in AC

the term recharge when it comes to A/C simply means vacuuming out all the old freon and putting new (and recycled old) into your system. it doesn't mean that they miraculously throw electrons into the A/C system to get it to work again..

a shrader valve is what keeps all the freon in the A/C system. there are 2. You see the 2 little blue caps attached to the A/C lines. one has an H on it, the other has a L. they are in there...

in simpler terms, take a look at your valve stems on your tires. take off the cap. see that metal thing in there? its the same concept. its just when it comes to tires its called a "core".

places that do A/C recharge have their own shrader valves that they usually replace for free when doing the service, however the ones Hyundai used are slightly oversized and aren't that common. thats why you have to go to a dealership. again... its a $3 part.

they could have gone bad just due to age. not everything lasts a lifetime. If shrader valves weren't supposed to go bad, then they definately wouldn't cost $5 for 2.

as for where they are (again), take note of the "low pressure side service port"(L) and the "pressure side service port"(H) in the following picture

http://www.hmaservice.com/xml/graphics/b6/b6ha104a.gif
Old 10-04-2004 | 04:28 PM

Default Re: Light Turbo on stock fuel supply?

thanx man I know what to look for, lol after reading the reply posts, I went directly to the HMA service to give it a little read, anywayz iテつエll be going to another a/c recharge place and see what they tell me... ltrz
Old 10-15-2004 | 04:51 PM

Default Re: Finally picked a goal....

ok, uptdate to the bs. I went last week to recharge the A/C to another place, I checked the gauge and it was near 0 there was some presure but not much, so they recharged it and told me that if in 3 months i had no A/c again then it was a leak. now this is what I wanted to hear, the person told me that the pressure was very low and most of the time that meant that there was a leak but that if in 3 monts i didnテつエt suffer any diference in the ac then it was ok.
I just hope that in 3 months theree is no change lol
Old 10-16-2004 | 09:06 AM

Default Re: hoods

well.. finding a leak in the system is not hard... they throw a dye in with the freon, let it run for a while, and then look for the leak. (I think the dye floureces under UV) VERY simply
Old 10-16-2004 | 04:42 PM

Default Re: RABBIT!

said a while ago...
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparticus)</div><div class='quotemain'>they (the shop) should have told you WHERE the leak was coming from. they should have done a dye test.

good luck</div>

hehe. beat you to that one tongue.gif

don't use A/C anyways!!! thats what windows and a sunroof is for. wink.gif