The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

2 Tickets In 5 Minutes

Old 01-21-2008 | 08:36 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ hell no. They are legal.

When they tore up my ticket, I asked him if they could write something that I could show to someone if i ever get pulled over again. He said "I can't really write anything because they ARE legal."

They don't flash, so therefore they do not fall under the signal lamp law and ARE legal! That's all there is to it. jeasus H bald headed christ in a handbasket.
Old 01-21-2008 | 08:43 PM

DTN, quit making an ass of yourself man, honestly. The law is there in black and white, and the only interpretation is that your HID's are illegal because they are blue! It doesn't matter what hte cop said, or what you think, we're all looking AT THE LAW. You can be as stubborn as you want, but being bullheaded doesn't change black and white fact.
Old 01-21-2008 | 08:48 PM
DTN

Here's another picture without flash dimming the caronas.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Caj Darkmoon @ Jan 21 2008, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The law is there in black and white, and the only interpretation is that your HID's are illegal because they are blue! It doesn't matter what hte cop said, or what you think, we're all looking AT THE LAW.</div>

I don't see the one which pertains to non flashing blue lights. In fact, Z pulled up every law there was and none pertain to the matter. The one SENTANCE Z found was out of context in the FLASHING lights area.
Old 01-21-2008 | 09:16 PM

You honestly bought another set just in case? I dont know how you get pulled over so much but sometimes you have to just deal with the laws and if you break them to bad. I could find things on every car in my driveway that could be ticketed for. When I decide to do a modification I dont look up the law. I got a ticket for loud exhaust. I knew it was stupid loud. Got the ticket knocked down to half and dealt with it.

Thats cool that you follow all that stuff just dont worry about it so much. If the cops wanted to they could write you up for a whole lot of stuff. A lot of people on this site could get a ton of tickets. Im not sure where Im going with this anymore. Just chill man.
Old 01-21-2008 | 09:31 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Adam I love you, but you are a moron.

I'm closing this bullshit thread.

Flashing lights are mentioned in the law, but not the source of why yours are illegal.

If you can't understand that, and that MP's are some of the least intelligent folks in the US Military, you need more help than anyone here can give you.

Here, again, is the law.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>SECTION 56-5-4830. <span style="color:#FF0000"><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%">Special restrictions on lamps; degree of intensity</span></span>; red, <span style="color:#FF0000"><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%">blue</span></span> and flashing lights.

Any lighted lamp or illuminating device upon a motor vehicle, other than head lamps, spot lamps, auxiliary lamps, flashing turn signals, emergency vehicle warning lamps, and school bus warning lamps, which project a beam of light of an intensity greater than three hundred candlepower shall be so directed that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than seventy-five feet from the vehicle.

<span style="color:#FF0000"><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">A person shall not drive, move, or park any vehicle or equipment upon a highway with a lamp or device on it displaying a red or blue light visible from directly in front of the center of it. This section shall not apply to a vehicle upon which a red or blue light visible from the front is expressly authorized or required by this chapter.</span></span>

Flashing lights are prohibited except on an authorized emergency vehicle, school bus, snow-removal equipment, or on any vehicle as a means of indicating a right or left turn or the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring unusual care in approaching, overtaking, or passing.</div>

It says Red, Blue, AND flashing lights.

Restrictions of those.

Your lights are blue.

Fail.

You can say hell no all you want man, but do you realize what you sound like? You are illegal, have brainwashed some tired MP's that don't want to look the law up that you are right, and have won so far. All to keep some blue headlights?

Seriously?

Considering you can't see as far with blue headlights as white, you may be breaking some of the other laws on there too for distance, but we won't open that bag of worms.
Old 02-21-2008 | 08:13 PM

So due to further argument regarding the legality of these headlights, I decided to get to the bottom of this whole discussion. First of all I found when the law came into effect. The law regarding these lights was revised as recently as 2003, likely in response to lights such as this and similar lights. Here's a summary:

South Carolina General Assembly
115th Session, 2003-2004

A65, R172, H3684

STATUS INFORMATION

General Bill
Sponsors: Rep. Lucas
Document Path: l:\council\bills\swb\5228cm03.doc

Introduced in the House on February 25, 2003
Introduced in the Senate on April 8, 2003
Last Amended on April 3, 2003
Passed by the General Assembly on June 3, 2003
Governor's Action: June 25, 2003, Signed
<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">
Summary: Certain colored lights illegal to display on personally owned vehicles</span>

HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS

Date Body Action Description with journal page number
2/25/2003 House Introduced and read first time HJ‑34
2/25/2003 House Referred to Committee on Judiciary HJ‑34
4/2/2003 House Committee report: Favorable with amendment Judiciary HJ‑98
4/3/2003 House Amended HJ‑23
4/3/2003 House Read second time HJ‑25
4/3/2003 House Unanimous consent for third reading on next legislative day HJ‑25
4/4/2003 House Read third time and sent to Senate HJ‑4
4/8/2003 Scrivener's error corrected
4/8/2003 Senate Introduced and read first time SJ‑31
4/8/2003 Senate Referred to Committee on Transportation SJ‑31
5/22/2003 Senate Committee report: Favorable Transportation SJ‑14
5/29/2003 Senate Read second time SJ‑81
6/3/2003 Senate Read third time and enrolled SJ‑47
6/5/2003 Ratified R 172
6/25/2003 Signed By Governor
6/30/2003 Copies available
6/30/2003 Effective date 06/25/03
7/1/2003 Act No. 65

View the latest legislative information at the LPITS web site

VERSIONS OF THIS BILL

2/25/2003
4/2/2003
4/3/2003
4/8/2003
5/22/2003

(A65, R172, H3684)

AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 56‑5‑4700, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO CERTAIN AUDIBLE SIGNAL DEVICES AND SIGNAL LAMPS THAT MUST SERVE AS EQUIPMENT ON EMERGENCY VEHICLES, SCHOOL BUSES, AND POLICE VEHICLES SO AS TO REVISE THE PROVISION THAT REGULATES THAT TYPE OF EQUIPMENT THAT MUST BE ATTACHED TO POLICE VEHICLES THAT ARE USED AS AUTHORIZED EMERGENCY VEHICLES; AND TO AMEND SECTION 56‑5‑4830, RELATING TO CERTAIN RESTRICTIONS PLACED ON A LIGHTED LAMP OR ILLUMINATING DEVICE ATTACHED TO A MOTOR VEHICLE, SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT CERTAIN MOTOR VEHICLES MAY NOT DISPLAY A BLUE LIGHT.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

Authorized emergency vehicles

SECTION 1. Section 56‑5‑4700 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:

“Section 56-5-4700. (A) Every authorized emergency vehicle shall, in addition to any other equipment and distinctive markings required by this chapter, be equipped with a siren, exhaust whistle, or bell capable of giving an audible signal.
(B) Every school bus and every authorized emergency vehicle, in addition to any other equipment and distinctive markings required by this chapter, must be equipped with signal lamps mounted as high and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, which must be capable of displaying to the front two alternately flashing red lights located at the same level and to the rear two alternately flashing red lights located at the same level, and these lights must have sufficient intensity to be visible at five hundred feet in normal sunlight. However, vehicles of a fire department or funeral home when equipped with a mounted, oscillating, rotating, or flashing red light, visible in all directions for a distance of five hundred feet in normal sunlight, are not required to have additional signal lamps.
© All police vehicles when used as authorized emergency vehicles must be equipped with oscillating, rotating, or flashing blue lights. In addition to the blue lights, the police vehicle may, but need not be equipped with alternately flashing red lights as herein specified, and may, but need not be equipped with oscillating, rotating, or flashing red lights, white lights, or both, in combination with the required blue lights. The authorized emergency police vehicle lights described herein must be visible for a distance of five hundred feet in all directions in normal sunlight. It shall be unlawful for any person to possess or display on any vehicle any blue light that is visible from outside the vehicle except one used primarily for law enforcement purposes.
(D) The alternately flashing lighting described in subsection (B) of this section shall not be used on any vehicle other than an authorized emergency vehicle. Provided, that a school bus may use the alternately flashing red lighting described in subsection (B), or red flashing lights in the rear and amber flashing lights in the front.
(E) The use of the signal equipment described herein shall impose upon drivers of other vehicles the obligation to yield right‑of‑way and stop as prescribed in Sections 56‑5‑2360 and 56‑5‑2770.”

Lighted lamps and illuminating devices

SECTION 2. Section 56‑5‑4830 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:

“Section 56‑5‑4830. Any lighted lamp or illuminating device upon a motor vehicle, other than head lamps, spot lamps, auxiliary lamps, flashing turn signals, emergency vehicle warning lamps, and school bus warning lamps, which project a beam of light of an intensity greater than three hundred candlepower shall be so directed that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than seventy‑five feet from the vehicle.
<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">A person shall not drive, move, or park any vehicle or equipment upon a highway with a lamp or device on it displaying a red or blue light visible from directly in front of the center of it. This section shall not apply to a vehicle upon which a red or blue light visible from the front is expressly authorized or required by this chapter. </span>
Flashing lights are prohibited except on an authorized emergency vehicle, school bus, snow‑removal equipment, or on any vehicle as a means of indicating a right or left turn or the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring unusual care in approaching, overtaking, or passing.”

Time effective

SECTION 3. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

Ratified the 5th day of June, 2003.

Approved the 25th day of June, 2003.

----

Very clearly this shows EXACTLY what this law addresses, horseless carriages aside this addresses personal vehicles.

As if that's not enough, I also called the South Carolina Highway Patrol earlier tonight. The lady I talked to put a note in for a patrol officer to call me if one came in, and about 10 minutes ago I received a call from a Sargent in the Highway Patrol. I explained to him that I had a question regarding South Carolina law regarding HID lights, and made sure he was familiar with the kind I was talking about. Then I explained to him that the car in question had such lights that were distinctly blue. <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">He immediately responded that these would be completely illegal under the law in South Carolina because of the COLOR. He went on to say that both lights like this and blue underglow (again, specifically the blue) are illegal because it can cause other drivers to confuse a civilian car with a police vehicle. I then said "So South Carolina law is absolutely clear on this?" To which he responded that it absolutely was and that if my friend has blue headlights then he is in violation of the law.
</span>
<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">This absolutely, unequivocally, and once and for all CLEARLY shows that DrivingTibNaked's headlights are illegal under South Carolina law. </span>Every possible loophole has been covered, and the officer I talked to was very confident in what he was saying. There is no further argument: Blue HID headlights are illegal in South Carolina.
Old 02-21-2008 | 08:17 PM
Banned

and thats that... the village idiot has been PWNED once again..

ps: VOTE FOR CAJ ! ! ! !!
Old 02-21-2008 | 08:22 PM

Well, at least they're not pink. Or yellow.