The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

&%*$'en Brake Rotors

Old 05-12-2008 | 10:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Well I was all excited Thursday(May 8th)when I got home from work to see my new rotors and pads from R1Concepts.I made sure that I had no plans but to change my brakes Saturday morning.Well come Sat. I jack the front end,pull off the wheels,remove driver front caliper(Pads fall apart after a small tap on them,And then,THATS WHEN THE CAR SAID F#@$ YOU!
For the life of me I could not get the rotor off.After 2 hrs of hammering,lubricating,and heating I was unsuccessful.Now I had a beaten up rotor that I was not going to put my new pads on.So,I went to Auto Parts and got cheap set of pads.Put them on my now beaten up rotor and put everything back together.That was Saturday.
Today I did a split shift at work so I could take the car in and PAY to get them changed.The front passenger wheel came off in about a 1/2 hr with the same hammering,heating and lube.He finally torched it red hot and with a few whacks it became LOOSE.With about 5 more minutes of hammering and it was on the floor.Now he goes over to the drivers front and heats it up the same as the first brake and goes to give it a whack and after 3 or 4 hits it breaks in like 3 pieces.The hub of the rotor was still on the car and the rotor was in 2 pieces on the floor.Well 3 hrs and a lot of hammering and I got my new brakes and I'm smiling from ear to ear.The car only has 56,600kms.I was told it was from storing it every winter that caused the rotors to seize to the hub.I'll have pic's up of the new brakes soon.Larrs
Old 05-12-2008 | 10:45 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Yes, many people have this problem with the front rotors. I think it is also because they heat up quite a bit during braking.. I'm glad you solved the problem. Spraying some paint on the hub before putting the rotor on will prevent seizing due to rust.
Old 05-12-2008 | 11:12 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

yeah i've read a lot of similar threads. it's like the titanic. i just had my guy do the hub swap.
Old 05-13-2008 | 12:31 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Pony

Never had issues removing rotors off a 24 year old Pony... mind you mine are captives (MUCH easier to remove on a RWD car) but yeah I did once buy a hub for liz's car (with an apparently non captive rotor) well, it was captive, so much so that I smashed the shit out of it and damaged the hub bearings: The constant thermal expansion and contraction must have fused it.

I wouldn't be surprised if in a few months your bearings go.

Next time, I'd have them pressed. I'd look into junkyard hubs for cores and just prepare some... it would save you $1000 (what my friend paid for four of 'em at the dealer...) and, man it's a LOT easier to just replace the spindle with a new bearing in it.