Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Wheel Balance Machine Help.

Old 06-28-2007 | 10:40 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah, I think so... You're talking about the counterbalance thing again? Rather then using another weight on the other side of the wheel, you move the existing weights?
Old 06-28-2007 | 10:42 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

(i was editing my last post while you posted yours. see the changes)

and thats exactly correct. in theory, you can just start throwing more weights all over the place and the machine will zero out, however it will not be a TRUE balance and most likely a vibration will occur.
Old 06-28-2007 | 10:48 PM

spart, what balancer do you use? in class we have a road force balancer and that thing is great. i love using it. in the shop i work at we have an older one that sucks.
Old 06-29-2007 | 03:31 AM
DTN

I wanna know what the 7 adjustments are for.
Old 06-29-2007 | 04:45 AM

we use Coats computer balancers. the settings are (off the top of my head) Dynamic, RV, Alloy 1, Alloy 2, Alloy 3, Alloy 4, Match Mount (useless), Static.

Alloy 1-4 involve sticky weights. the most common are 1 and 2. alloy 1 is sticky weights for the inside and outside (Volkswagen loves using these type of wheels). alloy 2 is sticky weights for the outside and tap in for the inside. the other ones are hardly ever used. one of the other alloy's is common on early 90s jeeps. you use sticky weights for the outside, but its in plain view where as generally its on the inside face. very stupid design. RV is the same as dynamic, but theres more margin for error for it because if you're balancing a huge tire (such as a duallie) it doesn't have to be as close to zero as like a Corolla wheel.
Old 06-29-2007 | 04:54 AM
DTN

^^ so like, all of those settings reduce the chances of counterbalancing the first time? Or does it just make for a more accurate ballance?

BTW.. You should write up a DIY guide mang. It would be quite helpful for those of us who are in the military who have access to these tools at the local shop, but do not have the experience. I searched google and could not find a how to or DIY guide.

I'll take pix if you like.

Thanks again mang!
Old 06-29-2007 | 04:10 PM

it doesn't make it more accurate.... but the machine knows, depending on the setting, where to place the weight..

on your machine, if you want to be in "high accuracy" mode (meaning it shows it in exact weight as opposed to rounding to the nearest quarter ounce) you push and hold the mag button as opposed to just pushing it (i'm almost certain thats how its done)

as far as a DIY... that would be a pain in the ass. haha. but we'll see
Old 06-29-2007 | 06:59 PM
DTN

dude, you just did one. You should do one on the machine you use every day... just step by step run through.