Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

What Do I Need To Do?

Old 05-02-2005, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do i need to do to lower my car? Someone told me you cant just buy new springs you have to buy shocks struts and some other stuff other wise you will screw up your whole suspension by just throwing springs up there... anyone?
Old 05-02-2005, 12:49 PM

Thats a yes and no answer. Yes you "can" put lowering springs on stock struts. However you would need to replace the struts likely after a year. So it becomes a cost thing. Why pay to have it done twice instead of paying less once to get it done correct? To do it correctly you should atleast replace the struts, boots (front and rear), springs, camber kits (2, one for front one for back), and front tower mounts.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You most likely will need new shocks, especially if your suspension already has high mileage. KYB AGX, GRII, etc. are what people usually go with. Like $50 per shock for the GR-II (for small drops) and $80 per AGX (larger drops).

And you need to get your alignment done after you get the springs installed and they settle.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:10 PM

Just throwing lowering springs on a car with no other mods will ruin the struts you have. As it is, they are designed to work with the length of travel your springs have and they are meant to dampen the amount of energy those springs impart on the suspension. To use the stock struts with lower and stiffer springs will push your struts beyond their design paremeters and they will bottom you often, give you an aweful, underdamped ride, and quickly die from the punishment they are receiving.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:39 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Yup, what Mad-Machine said.

It also becomes the situation UltraTibby said. He went a tad bit overboard IMO, You'll definitely need new shocks, and I do suggest tower mounts. (They look REALLY ugly)

The camber kits.....meh, I dunno, it depends on how much of a drop you want. The more you lower the car, the more a camber kit will help you out.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:48 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

So the tower mounts are just a show thing, and the OEM boots are fine right (do they go around the struts right)?
Old 05-02-2005, 06:54 PM

The mounts are not just a show thing and neither are the boots....... The mounts are what the strut pivots on for the front. They have a bearing in them. They are cheap and should be replaced. The boots regardless of how they look are ALSO the bump stopers for the struts so they dont smash into the mounts. Anthother thing that would be silly not to replace. Finally the camber kits. Yes you dont need them if you dont plan on having you car aligned. Again a cheap thing, silly to not do. All three of the above things are CHEAP and do make a difference in the overall performance.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:45 PM

Okay lets not complicate this too much.

Dude, all you need is NEW lowering springs, and NEW struts/shocks, ... thats it!

If you want to drop it more than 2", then you get camber kits and such if you want to be anal, lol
under 2 inches you should be fine with just the springs and struts.wink1.gif

You wont have any problems. Hamhead is right about getting an alignment done after, or at most, 2 weeks after installation.
Its better to wait a bit so the springs can settle. The hardest step is choosing the right spring for you!, at least it was for me, hehe,(I'm picky!)

My set-up is:

H&R sport + KYB GR2 = love
Old 05-02-2005, 08:48 PM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

I have eibach PRokits and been running it for a couple months. Its with stock struts and im pretty sure eibach's can run with stock strut.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:57 AM

QUOTE (x7xstring @ May 3 2005, 01:45 AM)
Okay lets not complicate this too much.

Dude, all you need is NEW lowering springs, and NEW struts/shocks, ... thats it!

Thanks! wink1.gif