Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Warped Rotor

Old 04-08-2005, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i pretty much need new brakes all around i think.. first of all, when i brake my wheel shakes. seconed, my brakes make a very annoying sweaking noise when i break (nails on a chalkborad times 10!!) Now i dont have enough brake knowledge to change my rotors myself, my question is, where is the best place to get my breaks done?? midus?? mideke? not really looking for cheapest, but one that does the best job??

THANKS!!
Old 04-09-2005, 12:06 AM

Honestly, most any garage can do them. They are not hard to do, but because your life is dependant on them, if you are uncertain about what you are doing, take them to somebody.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:31 AM

The shaking doesn't have to be warped rotors, although it's likely. But don't go in telling the shop your rotors are warped, otherwise your rotors may all get turned or replaced when they don't need it. If you want to go ahead and replace them, consider buying the rotors and pads yourself from Advance Auto and bringing them to the shop, don't buy through the shop.

Look at this DIY. Here's a generic one. If your rotors aren't very rusty it's easy to change them yourself, you don't need any previous knowledge of brakes. If you can change your oil then you shouldn't have a problem with rotors and pads. If you do it yourself you should save at least $100 in labor.

In my experience chains like Midas and Meineke are the most dishonest. They've tried to rip me off on something almost every time I've gone there. I recommend you ask around for a good independant shop. And no matter where you go, always get them to show you in person exactly what is wrong before you agree to have something replaced or worked on. If they give you some reason for not showing you, leave fast.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:52 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

sears has pretty respectable prices when it comes to brake jobs.