Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Vibration!

Old 07-06-2006 | 06:58 PM

What OZ was asking is if your rims are hubcentric, that is they are supported on the center part of the hub, the nuts are ONLY to keep it tight towards the hub but they do not carry weight or do any other job than pressing the wheel to the hub.
If your wheels are not hubcentric, they are forcing the studs in a way they are not preapered to, and they could brake and you could loose a tire... and be injured.
Please find about that; you can ask for OEM Tib wheels, mount them on the front (it does not really matter how good the tires on those are) and try.
Old 07-07-2006 | 04:21 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Coupe

The wheels are hubcentric and I did ask the guy that put the rims on about the centre being the right size, but other wise I might just go down to hyundai and get some next week and change them to see what difference they make. Any one know how much they should be?

I been noticing the vibration alot more recently and it starts at around 50mph not 70, but the handeling around a bend at say 70 feels like the car just wants to go! Are they all like that.
Old 07-07-2006 | 04:32 PM

You guys are all wrong. tongue.gif
It's the Bearings!

Vibration while driving, the steering wheel moves... yup. Do this. When parked, grab the top and bottom of the steering wheel and try to shake it, pushing the top and then alternate to the bottom. If you can shake the steering, clear sign the bearings are bad.

Have you tried putting the front on jack stands and taking off the wheels, put some lugs to hold the rotors on and put the car in third gear letting them spin. You might hear some interesting things coming from the bearings when you do this. Mine sounded like metal grinding. But I only heard this when I took the wheels off. When the wheels were on, you couldn't hear anything. Give it a try.

It's a very common thing in the Tibs for the bearing to go out. I was talking to Random the other day and he was telling me how on alot of tibs, the bearing for some reason or another goes out. Most of the time it's the rear bearings, but can happen in the front, like mine.

Have your bearing checked out at the dealer. I was getting this vibration when driving around, but I didn't think too much of it, 35k miles later, it got really bad, so I took it into the dealer to find out my bearings were completely shot. They ended up having to replace the Knuckle also because the bearing was fused in there.

It was covered under the 100k drivetrain warranty. Good Luck!
Old 07-15-2006 | 05:40 AM

Yea, Im definately hearing a grinding sound especially when I take a corner with my window down. When I drive straight it is like a quite noise but when I take a corner it gets louder. I replaced one bearing when I done the pads but that was 6K ago, the other one didn't need replacing. but it's the new one that the noise is coming from!
Old 07-30-2006 | 06:20 AM

Guy's I found the problem and the cause, you might want to take careful note as I just threw £350 = ~$650 USD down the crapper! Plus the money for shit loads of wheel alignment and balancing!

When I was braking at low speeds I was getting no vibration at all, thats why I thought it couldn't be the rotors. But when I got it down to the mechanic ( I managed to find one in the UK near me that actually knows what he is doing!) He checked the car but couldn't find any sort of mechanical problem....bearings were good, tie rod was sound, wheels and tyres were ok, suspension was cool. Then he took it for a drive and figured its the rotors.

But the reason was uneven torque of the bolts that hold rotor in place that have caused the rotors to warp over time and pads to wear unevenly. For future reference TIGHTEN ALL NUTS TO CORRECT TORQUE SPECIFICATION!

Hope my mistake will save everyone some funds for other mods. Thanks to all that have helped, much appreciated.
Old 07-30-2006 | 11:42 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

wow!

very good point!

but it's a pity that to check or retorque those bolts you need to push out bearings 02.gif